SaltCritters.com

AC 500 as fuge, what to put inside? Which impeller for flow?

lovethemsalt

I know there have been hundreds of post regarding Aqua Clear as fuge, but most people have AC300. I want to know from people with AC500. What do you put inside? What impeller do you use? AC150 or AC200 impeller? Can you fit 50w Ebo Jager heater? What do you recommend? Please help me out. I'm starting a new 10G tank and would like more info regarding refugium. Thanks

I personally think an AC500 would be great as a fuge on a 10g. I have one set up on my 20g, and the flow rate is just right. The AC500 has a built in adjustment to reduce the flow, but I found that I did not need to reduce the flow at all on my 20.

I did make some modifications to mine that may have reduced the flow somewhat, but you may want to do these anyways. First, I put in a baffle to reduce the currents in the fuge area. Secondly, I used the AquaClear surface skimmer attachement which works great and only costs about $8 (mailorder).

Here is a thread from the beginners forum that discusses the AC500 and shows my setup there.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=16635

you can use almost any kind of cheep lighiting. Just plain old 5500k plant bulbs sold at the walmart will work just fine. but as with everything in this hobby each person has their own experience.

i personally use the same lights i have on my main tank. i use the 6500k 19watt coiled florecent bulbs from home depot.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a 50 watt Hagen Tronic. The 50 watter is the only Tronic that will fit in the AC500 and still allow the top to be on. I did have to dremel out a small notch in the AC500 top to allow the electrical cord through.

I would have preferred a 100 watt heater, but I could not find one short enough. If 50 watts is not enough, I will just use 2 of the 50 watt Tronics.

I have the ac500 on my 10 and the flow is a little to much. Been trying to figure out a way to cut flow down a little. Have not been able to find the surface skimmer anywhere but want to try it, where did you get yours?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, i ve been hearing great things about using an AC 500 as a refugium for a 10 gallon nano. it sounds perfect except i would like to know if there are wet dry HOB filters that can be coverted into a refugium as well. i know this is probably impossible with bio wheel HOB, but how about with wet/dry HOB's like the millenium filters. It would be nice to have a refugium that has this wet/dry versatility i would think, even though i would probably use it an refugium only, or wet/dry filter only and not both at the same time... hmm unless this is possible of course.

thanks

also can a HOB bio wheel filter like the marineland emperor 400 work as well as an AC500 converted fuge(ie. can it be set up as a fuge and still be able to hold a protein skimmer and a heater +/- bio wheel running?)

oops never mind, the emperor 400 has a spray bar for the bio wheels. That would just make it impossible for all the copepods etc that this converted fuge idea would produce would just get destroyed.

Here's a thought. how about attaching a penguin mini to a converted AC500 fuge to provide some wet/dry filtration for the fuge.

i guess my ultimate question is is there anyway to get a good wet/dry filter with a converted HOB fuge?

Thanks for your help

Originally posted by DSparks

Blownpony, let me know how you solve your flow problem, because I'd like to use a 500 as well.

I finaly got a chance to set it up. I just made the 6" tall baffle and the surface skimmer and it works great. Can make the flow slow way down. Very happy so far just need something to put in it.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I was reading this post and finally, had to join the forum, I'm about to dive into a nano, as I can never fill my main tank with enough coral. Several months ago in a FIGHT with nitrate levels in the main tank I converted my old Emperor 400 into a fuge. It had been hanging on the back of my 55 forever, and so I removed the filter pads, removed the bio wheels, turned the spraybars slightly, and added some eggcrate to hold the macro's in. The pods seem to flourish in the flow from the sraybars, often sitting on the eggcrate in the direct flow, I attached an 18w light to the top and the macro are going nuts. I am setting up a 10g for christmas, and will be adding a fuge, thanks for all the ideas, I'll keep ya'll posted on the progress...

Well guys

I am new to here and just want to share with what I am doing with AC 500.

I have a tank which is about 7 gallon(26X7.5X9.5) with 2 inches of sand .Since i am using canister filter, i stop using the powerhead of the ac and try to connect the outlet of my canister filter to the left side of the ac and on the right side of it , i put 3 inches of mixed sand + magic mud and put some marco algae in it. I also put a light on it.

My tank is not a big one but I put so much things in it. I can say its overstocked right now. Thats why i want to test how much N03 it can bring down.

I have two clown fish, 2 tangs,one sea cucumber, one sea pen, one sea apple, 2 cleaner shrimp, 2 pistol shrimp, 2 anemone shrimp,2 clown shrimp(dont know the name in English), one small lobster,two clams ,feather dusters with alot of coral as well.

My tank is about 1.5 months old and I will soon tell you the result of it. The fuge is set up for about a week. Today my No3 reading is about 15 to 20.

Regards

bob

Originally posted by bobpinpin

I have two clown fish, 2 tangs,one sea cucumber, one sea pen, one sea apple, 2 cleaner shrimp, 2 pistol shrimp, 2 anemone shrimp,2 clown shrimp(dont know the name in English), one small lobster,two clams ,feather dusters with alot of coral as well.

You have all of this in a 7 gallon? Poor animals.

After I started this thread, I finally got my own AC500 w/20H setup. Thanks to the advice from Steve916. Everything is working fine. I just need some macro algae. I also got the Jalli 13w pc light. It's a little hot, but so far so good.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived