Pod Your Reef

Stupid PC lighting question...

Ike

Just wondering if anyone has experience or has seen a hood with an unconventional number of PC bulbs.

I originally built my hood, which rests over a standard 15 gallon tank, to hold a 2x65watt set-up. I've since added a third 65 watt ballast & bulb. That gives me 195 watts of PC light. But I've noticed that I have tons of extra room in there for more bulbs. The only thing that restricts the addition are the reflectors. 3 reflectors from AHsupply take up all the available space.

So I'm wondering if anyone know of a custom reflector that would fit in a 12" x 24" space. I'd like to try to fit in another 2x65 set-up for a total of 5x65 giving me 325 watts of light.

I know that I should probably just buy a MH system, but I don't feel like building a new hood and I also just feel like trying something different.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Ike

Screw the VHO and more PC's....you said it yourself: "I know that I should probably just buy a MH system..."

I really don't see any disadvantages to going halide. Heat? You're going to have problems with all those PC's as well. Cost? The halide will even cost less for the annual bulb replacement than for all those PC's. Intensity? The halides can't be beat.

I would suggest going with the halide--choose to take "the road less traveled" with some other aspect of your tank. Choosing to do so with PC's will just cost you more money in the long run.

I was facing the same problem when I decided to upgrade my 2x65watt setup over my 20H. I wanted to add another 65 and call it a day...but the heat!!! Even though PC's are cooler than halide, they get mounted closer than halide to be effective (with a glass cover), and end up trapping alot more heat in the tank. Instead I went with a 175watt MH....no more heat issues. The tank is open top and the bulb is 8" from the water...plenty of ventilation. I use a 14,000K bulb so no more actinic either. Now, sure, I might be facing some evaporation and it tends to heat up the room I have it in a little...but it's only on 6-8 hours per day, I run it 4pm-11pm...opposite the hotter times of the day. So the limited period doesnt cause as much evap as one might think, or transfer that much heat. The corals get all they need with just those few hours.

Archived