Innovative Marine Aquariums

Bad Carbon?

flamethis

OK is there a chance that I could have bad carbon? I used carbon that I got from the LFS, it is like a sheet of polyfilter but black. I decided to try it today after feeding my tank, and now most of my corals look very angry and the BTA started wandering again.. the water was almost foggy....

zoas- all closed

frogspawn-dropped a tentacle, and gaping mouth

Kenya tree- polyps retracted, stalks are shorter kinda stumpy

button polyps- fringes are curly

GSP- all closed up

Both Candycanes look fine

Purple Digi and monti cap appear fine, polyps are out

Shrooms are all looking rough, not shriveled totally but definatley not as good as usual.

All snails, hermits lok fine, fish are fine.

Everything was fine till I added the carbon to clean up the water after feeding. I have pulled the carbon, put some regular filter floss to catch the small debris. And did a 25% WC.

Amm. 0

nitrates 5ppm

ph 8.2

Didn't check the cal. or alk, but didn't think they were the problem. Will check those in the morning.

I'm just wondering if it's possible that the carbon filter was bad? I'm going to try to get some purigen or chemi pure tomorrow but it's hard to find that stuff locally.

If you didn't rinse the filter first, that's where the cloudiness came from. And if you've been slacking in your tank maintenance, the sudden change in water quality (although for the better) could actually be what's causing the trouble.

Yep, sometimes when people add carbon, SPS will bleach, etc, because you've actually shocked the system by removing DOC's too quickly.

Not being defensive, but I haven't been slacking on the tank maintenance, weekly water changes, daily multiple top offs. I'm out of work ATM so I spend all day with my little tank..

I did forget to rinse the carbon now that you mention that. It would explain the cloudiness..

Thanks for the replies guys! Just waiting for the lights to kick in so I can see if everything comes around today.. The BTA seems to have replanted his foot not far from where he was so it's a start..

Archived