ReefCleaners.org

Are 2 vortechs in a 75 overkill?

spankey

I have a 75 which is mostly sps and some zoo's and lps.

Right now I have on both sides a vortech. The one on the right is a new wireless driven vortech with various modes. The one on the left I just got in a swap but has the old manual low-high driver. I need to upgrade the old one to the new style.

I placed them both on my RK2 on oscillate for every 40 seconds.

I also have them both set at medium flow. Full flow seems to tear my sand bed apart.

Are two of them overkill or should I run them in a lower speed?

Thanks

Shoot Me_I Explode

I’ve got 2 mp40’s on my 40 breeder, barebottom though so no sandstorm here. Just keep turning them down until you find the flow you like.

I am considering removing the sand from the front of the tank but fear that what does move eventually will cause a rockslide from what's under the rock....

yes they are and you should give then to me.

Seriously though, especially on the new ones, not too much flow at all.

Whiteshark, it depends on settings and location.

No 2 of them in that size tank is what im going for. I would place them about 6 inches from the surface facing inward, 1 on each side of course. Reef Crest Mode, synced, or however you do it. I only have 1 right now so I cant comment on how to set it up. But make them osscilate if you can.

Start out with small adjustments like an above post said. Start out at min speed, then increase over a period of an hour or two. Just slowly dial it in. The unit takes a few seconds to respond to the changes you make to the max speed. Also, make sure you put it on Constant output when dialing speed. If you have it on reef crest random, you wont know how powerful a full blast is because its random.

Archived