inTank Media Baskets

Dwarf Lionfish

jdiver

My lfs has a half dozen Dwarf Lionfish. (At least that is what they are calling them.) They are Lionfish that are only about 2 inches long. Are they actually dwarfs that will stay small, or are they likely just juvenile Lionfish? I'm thinking about getting one to be a buddy with BoBo the clownfish. Just kidding! I'm more curious than anything.

I know a place that sells these puppies for dirt cheap..

dendrochirus zebra (Drawf Lion) for $5!!!!!!!

and they have many other ones for a good price..a couple of examples:

Percula Clown: $4.75

Damsels/Chromis: $1.00

Flame Blenny: $9

Golden Head Goby: $7

Powder Grey Tng: $11

Yellow Tang: $7

Clown Tang: $7

Blue Tang: (1") $10

Six Line Wrasse: $6.50

Spoted Hawkfish: $5

Spotted Cadinal: $5

Cool, thanks for the info. For future reference, are LionFish considered predators to other fish, or can they be housed in the same aquarium with other fish? How about inverts?

If you want to house a lion fish..make sure that your other fish will not be able to fit in his mouth...anything the is bigger then a lions mouth he will not touch....about inverts...ABSOLUTLY  NO SHRIMPS!

The love those little suckers..heheh...but i don't think it will hurt anything else...but what do i know...maybe others can give you more info

Vixyswillie
Quote: from jdiver on 11:30 am on June 27, 2002[br]My lfs has a half dozen Dwarf Lionfish... Are they actually dwarfs that will stay small, or are they likely just juvenile Lionfish?

According to what I've read, there are two species of lionfish commonly called "dwarf lionfish:" the shortfin lionfish (Dendrochirus brachypterus) and the zebra lionfish (Dendrochirus zebra). Both eventually grow to about 7 inches, are generally hardy, and will eat ornamental shrimps or smaller fish. Like all lionfish, they have venomous spines and need to be handled accordingly.

Hope that helps. :)

(Edited by Vixyswillie at 7:33 pm on June 27, 2002)

I strongly urge anyone to forgo lions of any kind in a nano. Juvenile dwarfs can live in one on a temporary basis, but the only reefer that should consider this would be the one who has a proper tank set up and waiting for the lion once it gets bigger. that tank should be 55 gallons or larger. Also this species is very hazardous in a nano since it is highly venomous and the likelyhood for tragic accidents is higher since there is a limited amount of space for a lion and a hobbyist's hand in a nano.

Archived