Top Shelf Aquatics

Are floating Hydrometer precise?

FloridaReefer

no.

I used to have one when I started, It can be amazingly wrong. Just spend the money and get a refractometer, it'll make a big impact in the long run. You can pick one up for ~$50 in some places.

Precise and accurate are two different things. I would use one of those before using a swing arm hydrometer. But I would still want to know if it was accurate by calibrating with a properly calibrated refractometer or pinpoint salinity meter. Personally, I recommend a refractometer.

NanoReefNovice

Dont buy that cheezy hydrometer, buy a good quality scientfic one that is specific to the range you are looking for. You may want to see if there a good homebrew shop nearby that you can pick one up from, or just order from MoreBeer.com or a scientif supply store. A good quality float hydrometer will be more percise then a refrac anyday. But its hard to beat the convience of a refrac. Either way it is up to you to be accurate, with consistent measuring technique.

kray stay away from the floaters esp if your in the kids section of the pool.

I use one and love it. You have to keep it clean or the additional weight will throw the results off

what else do we have to do? Our tanks are fully automated so ....

Now you have me craving one of those dark choclate snickers. Dang you Kray

Only on NR could a thread about hydrometers end up being a discussion about turds.

So if no one else is going to take this I must ! The epicness just arrived. ;)

You can purchase a hydrometer accurate to .001 sg from fisher scientific for about 60 dollars that would be more accurate and never needed to be calibrated if handled and cleaned properly.

Refractometer all the way. I used to use these glass floaters until one broke and sent little lead balls deep into my sand bed. I had to tear apart the entire tank to get rid of those. Also, you pretty much need to turn off your water flow every time you use them, since powerheads will send these flying around your tank and making it very difficult to read.

I think they are accurate enough, but you can get a refractometer for under $40 on ebay, so it is a no brainer.

using a glass hydrometer correctly is very very very very important

it should be cleaned after each use in di water

dried and stored in a box

to test, tank water should be put into a container that fits the hydrometer \\\\ not the tank\\\\

after the test the container should be cleaned with water then rinsed with di/ro water then dried before next test

Archived