Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Found a used wet/dry

Grendel0501

I think it is rated for 75g and 300gph.

I found acouple of cheap Overflows on ebay.

This Eshopps looks like it would get the job done. Though I don't think the picture is accurate , according to eshopps site the 300gph model only has one prefilter.

For the pump...

Could I use a cheap Gen-x 2400 (635gph) pump? overrated to handle the 6ft up that the water would have travel over.

Or do I need a pump specifically labeled "sump" pump?

Say hello to my dead thread.

Can someone help me out here? :unsure:

Anyone ever try the cheaper Aquatraders/Odyssea overflows? Would save me $20 and it is rated for 300 more gph than the Ehsopps. Do I need to match up the GPH of the overflow exactly? or is it ok , if I get a 600gph overflow I only intend to use for 300gph?

If I get a pump rated for 600gph , about how much power would be lost trying to get the water up the 6 feet?

I don't intend to use the bio-balls , I intend to gut that out and use it mainly as a sump.

Holding my skimmer and heater. Maybe some cheato and live rock.

If your overflow is rated higher than your pump then your pump will essentially be what's controlling the rate of overflow, so that wouldn't be an issue.

As for your pump question, I'm not experienced enough to answer that, so I can't help out too much there. Look around for something that will handle a 6' head and calculate the GPH after the head loss. Maybe 1800-2400gph pump? I'm thinking that should give you about 600GPH return after head loss.. but I'm just guessing. Sorry I can't help much more.

Archived