Top Shelf Aquatics

Home made additives - info/comments?

LadyClown

In my search of the perfect ionic balance for my water I have stumbled into a problem... $$$

So, with a little bit of research I found that Washing soda 1:6 baking soda makes a good pH buffer. I also found out that pickling lime can be used instead of kalkwasser.

Now, my question is, how about Mg? (magnesium)

I guess MgCl is the easiest to find, but I haven't been able to pinpoint where exacly to find it.

also, I'm not exactly sure whether the buffer is raising alkalinity or not (I suck in chemistry)

Any help? comment? Other info? :happy:

actually, i've been looking all around for a pure enough MgCl source. there's a de-icer called Ice-O-Lator or something that seems to be close enough. can't find the frickin thing tho! :angry:

i've been using epsom salts lately MgSO4 but i'm getting concerned of the overabundance of sulfates. it should be a 6:1 ratio (about) of MgCl to MgSO4. :ermm: tick tick tick

DO NOT USE BAKING / WASHING SODA.

It works OK for Freshwater, but with Saltwater, Strictly TABOO.

I can not stress this enough.

Epsom Salts are OK, but make sure they are PURE and dont have any other chemicals in them. the Sulfides are indeed an issue.

Mrs. Balls' PURE pickeling Lime (powder) is ok. Make sure it has no other additives as there are a few flavors in the grocery store in the CANNING section (tis the season ;) so stock up)

It's an expensive hobby, if you cant afford it, GET OUT.

TRUTH: plain and simple.

I like Indy racing, but I'm not running out to buy a Formula One race car, a top notch trailor, pit crew, Al Unser Jr as the driver, 14 sets of tires, an entry place in the Brickyard 400 and not having $$$ for fuel.

take up making popsicle-stick hot plates and houses as a hobby. All you need is Glue and sticks... Should be affordabe enough .

Everyone's method is different, but IMO i have always used this handy chart to figure out Alk and Calc problems This chart was a real eye opener for me and it is very handy. I even printed it out...

(click the link below)

And before my shipment of tons of equipment, I've used baking soda and washing soda...

here read this article by Randy Holmes Farley who recommends this stuff, although he mentions not using ones with perfumes or other surfactants..scroll down for this

baking soda and washing soda is acceptable..solving calc and alk problems - using baking soda and washing soda

From Marine Depot, you can get a 100ml 3 pack of SeaChem products for $8.89 (Reef Pack: Fundamentals - 100mL of each Reef Complete, Reef Carbonate, and Reef Plus.) Since you have a Nano, it seems like these would last a long time for you.

My thought would be that you will spend a lot more $$$ if you lose one thing fooling around "saving" money.

Also, how much will you spend in the end to do all the things this set of products does?

tinyreef = I've heard of Magnesium Chloride hexa something I do't remember.. it's like a vitamin for cattle.

I was hoping to find something I wouldn't have to buy online. but I guess I couldn't even find the pickling lime at the local grocery stores :( oh well

Dave = could you explain to me why using the baking soda/washing soda is not good for saltwater (it's allright if you just know I'm not supposed to use it, Ièm just curious) I guess I like doing things this way, cuz I'm actually getting to use some of the stupid chemistry classes I've been taking for the past 3 years (yeah, I'm a chem minor, not for choice though).ùI undestand what you mean by choose another hobby, truth is, I have another expensive hobby, I'm just trying to learn about this one slowly. I won't be buying any expensive corals any time soon, so I'd like to get a bit of experience now and then, when I'll have a job, actually stock up :)

samstersam - I have that chart saved on my hard drive. I'm looking for a decent alk test kit, since my lfs doesn't seem to have one up to the task. right now I know my Ca levels are LOW

Rob - I guess I did answer your question when I was answering Dave.

Thanks for the great feedback guiys. If you have more infos/do NOTs pls write them on here. Anything is accepted :)

magnesium chloride hexahydrate (MgCl2 * 6H2O), a water saturated form of MgCl (i'm just too lazy or forgetful to add that last '2'). i think it almost always comes in this form in 'bulk' form. i think it's for the ease of scooping or something.

tablet form may take MgCl2 as they refine it more. but i also believe tablet form is hella expensive compared to de-icing or animal feed sack quantities.

Did anyone ever use those SeaLab 28 blocks? They are pretty cheap and the container makes them sound like that's all you need. I use them but I don't know if they make a difference. I do a water change weekly and hope the blocks replace anything the carbon may remove.

I've been using the sealab blocks. As of now (few months) I've had no problems. It seems that if I go longer without doing a water change, the blocks disappear faster. So I'm guessing they really do work on an "as needed" basis.

Archived