Pod Your Reef

Biocube Heating up due to crappy stock fan!

pendergraft

I am so pissed off. First I get my tank and the ballast is shot, so Oceanic sends me a new one (1.5week wait). Then my one fan (left facing tank) makes some bad noise when first fired up and now is going so slow I can watch the blade spin. What a piece of *^%*!!! I like the look of the tank buy every other part of it seems like crap! My temp is getting up to about 82 by 7pm at night (lights out at 8pm) Lights on from 10am-8pm. What to do? I emailed Oceanic again for a new fan, wondering what the best thing to do is. Please help

I had the same issue with my Biocube 6g. The fan still makes an annoying sound upon startup, but it ends up fixing itself (and spinning at the correct speed) within 45 seconds to a minute.

About the heat - I ended up using a dremel tool to cut out the crappy plastic vent above the fan that slows down the airflow. I was reluctant because I didn't want to cut my new tank, but I did it carefully so it looks nice. The tank now tops out at 78 degrees at the end of the lighting cycle (whereas before it'd reach 82-83).

Another temporary solution is to keep the feeding lid open all the time.

Buy some 50mm fans and put them in. I purchased the nanotuners 3.24 lighting upgrade that includes upgraded fans.

Here is a fan upgrade kit. You could probably just find the pieces cheaper on ebay.

http://www.nanotuners.com/product_info.php...products_id=365

with the nanotuners fan upgrade you have to remove the small voltage reg thats in the hood and re-rout the fans to an external voltage regulator I recommend that you also add their variable voltage reg/adapter so when your family says it's too loud you can lower the volts from 12mv down to 8 mv and slow down the fan and quiet the noise down a bit. the upgrade 50mm fans run a bit louder than the stock ones. check external variables in the room that might be adding to the heat. ie near a window, heater, etc. the bc shouldn't run too hot.

Archived