Innovative Marine Aquariums

Help Please. what other equipment will I need?

Small Reefer

I'm starting a nano reef in an eclipse system 3. I have the system and plan on removing the HOB filter and stock lighting. I ordered 2 13w 50/50 from hellolights. I plan on getting the RIO powerhead about 63 gph. I was wondering what I am missing. Does anyone know where I can get a T-12 plastic sheath for the retrofit kit lights? Would the one powerhead be enough? Thanks for the advise. :P

From the first article on the list:

To start, you will need to pick out the aquarium you would like to use. Three good starter sizes are the standard 10 gallon, 15 gallon, or 20 gallon aquariums. Next, you will need to decide on the lighting system you want to use. Powercompact retrofit kits and canopies are highly recommended. These powercompact lamps will provide your nano reef with plenty of light for many types of corals. For the heater, we only recommend using a 50w or 75w Ebo Jager heater, as these are the only heater we have had success with in such a small aquarium. Lastly, you will need a small powerhead pump for circulation. We have found Marineland's Penguin powerhead 550 to be quiet and reliable, but all other similarly sized pumps will work.

water spec info from same article:

When the time comes to fill the tank and get it running, you will need to have purchased a good synthetic salt and a specific gravity meter. Fill the tank with water and add salt until the s.p. is 1.023. Place the powerhead in immediately so it will help mix the salt. Now is also the time to place in your heater and get the water temperature to 78 degrees. Once your s.g. has reached it's proper level, you can add the live rock and live sand. Place the live rock in first, using an open pattern so the fish have room to swim through and hide in the rock. Be as creative as you want during this process and don't be afraid to go back and change it later. Once the rock is where you like it, you can pour the live sand around the rocks, keeping it at a fairly even thickness throughout the tank.

and a google search on water parameters gives you this nifty little page:

http://saltaquarium.about.com/library/blan...itchartreef.htm

I'm not doing a 10 g or larger. I'm doing a 3g eclipse like some other members in this forum. That's why the first article doesn't help much. But thanks for the water guide chart.

bleh, 50W heater works fine and a small powerhead that has an adjustable flow rate is fine or you can use a hob filter (sans media) for water flow.

I'm not familiar with the eclipse tanks but don't they come with some powerhead/filter built into the hood?

Yeah It comes with an hob but I don't think the flow is good enough. I am removing it to accomodate the 2 13w lights. I am wondering why ppl use a hob filter when I thought the LR and LS are suppose to do all the filtration?

they use the hob without the filter media - gives added flow and allows for a good spot for dosing as well as using carbon if necessary. I never used the media when I have hob filters on my 7.

Is it okay to use carbon for a reef tank? Do you have pics of your 7g? How long have you had it? How much dosing you you need to do I thought the sea salt mix was good enough? Thanks for all the tips.

my 7 was broken down a few months ago thanks to a bryopsis problem that couldn't be controlled.

If you search the member tank section with my name you should see the old and new tanks.

My new tank (26 gallon bowfront) was coming along nicely until some ######## in ohio decided to screw up the powergrid for the north east. Slowly getting back to where I was.

as for dosing, I rarely do water changes (not recommended) and I have a calcium depleting tank. Lots of sps corals, clams (on the way) etc. so I need to add calcium (I use b-ionic) to make sure the corals get the necessary calcium to continue growing.

if you do water changes weekly (10-15%) you shouldn't need to dose anything, unless you have a tank that has a large number of animals that deplete the water of one specific element. Even then, water changes should suffice.

Man that sucks. Are you gonna try and revive it and start a whole new reef? It looked pretty nice. Hope nothing crappy happens to mine this could get costly. I think it's gonna cost me $200 some just to get this one started.

Archived