Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Noob question about water pumps

Captainj42

Ok I think I know the answer but I'd rather ask then amuse. I've seen that most pumps for saltwater cost more then pond/fountain pumps. So my question is why cant we just use the pond/fountain pumps?

HecticDialectics
Nood question about water pumps

well I would be afraid of operating any pumps in the nood without making sure they aren't going to explode or anything...

But it probably depends on the pump. I imagine some of the pumps are marketed for both, as one that works in saltwater would also work in freshwater.

Nood question about water pumps....but I'd rather ask then amuse.

You failed. I'm amused. :D

I think the saltwater pumps are rated to hold up to the extra corrosion caused by the salt, where the pond pumps aren't

aside from that, i would imagine noise is a big factor as well. noise probably isn't as big of a deal when it comes to a pump for your pond...but noise is a huge factor when it comes to an aquarium in your home.

higher voltage = lower electricity bill

i would go for it, im using a cheapo pond pump and its pumpin away. maybe a pump that isnt going to be on all the time i would go for the more expensive pump because corrosion would build up in the downtime. I think youll be fine with it, but im no expert.....

aside from that, i would imagine noise is a big factor as well. noise probably isn't as big of a deal when it comes to a pump for your pond...but noise is a huge factor when it comes to an aquarium in your home.

Ya i know what you mean, It was a pump that my dad had laying around so I figured I'd ask everyone about it before I go out and buy a new one, but I'm thinking I should just buy a new one anyway :(

HecticDialectics

$75 for a pump that only does 285 gph, and there's no head height listed... doesn't look like a very good deal.

Did you want it to be 230V with the Australian plug?

edit: oops you posted right before I did... so ignore that.

What do you need the pump to do? Do you just need a powerhead? Or do you need a return pump for a sump? What size system and such? I'm sure we can point ya in the right direction if ya need it.

$75 for a pump that only does 285 gph, and there's no head height listed... doesn't look like a very good deal.

Did you want it to be 230V with the Australian plug?

edit: oops you posted right before I did... so ignore that.

What do you need the pump to do? Do you just need a powerhead? Or do you need a return pump for a sump?

Yes I need a return pump for my sump, so I need a one that can pump up to 3ft high. And I'm pretty broke right now so free was better then buying a new one.

We changed out the plug so that's not a problem. Stuck it in a bucket of water and it worked, it pumped over 3ft high.

you might try leaving it in a bucket of saltwater for a few days... then take it apart and see if there's rust anywhere.

submersible pumps usually dont like to be taken apart.

Archived