ReefCleaners.org

Highest gph rated powerhead for 14g b/c

grovernorsnr

grovernorsnr

Does anyone know a very compact high gph pump for a 14g b/c?

I know the circulating fans offer good circulation so im not interested in those. I will probably opt in for a dual thrust model to help simulate natural currents eventually though.

At this point Im really just interested in a high gph model like the maxi jet 1200 but with more oomph.

The pump should be able to fit in the third chamber of a b/c 14. The 1200 at 295gph will only give 295/60 = <5gpm flow through the fuge mods. This may be enough but <5gpm really doesnt seem like adequate flow. More flow should mean cleaner water and less maintenance.

Some thoughts.

I have chamber 1 filled with live rubble to the water line currently acting as a fuge. When I install a greater pump and surface agitator I will block off the top inlet thus forcing all flow trough chamber ones live rubble, currently this top section is open. From there it currently passes through the second chambers OEM water diffuser. Water then trickles onto a thick bed of filter floss covering approx. 4 inch of live rubble which then continues to seep into the third chamber through more filter floss which is found in chamber three..

Future modifications other than the pump will be to add a pair of 45 degree screens into chamber 2 and a pair of submersible halogens for algae scrubbing. Chamber one water flow will run to and fro on these screens then trickle down onto a bed of chaeto covering live rock. I may even create a bulk head passage with a 90 degree angle from chamber 2 into the main tank so the emerald crab can clean my algae scrubbing screens a bit.

Archived