Cultivated Reef

$89 RO/DI unit Review

121a

So i'll begin by saying i left my watergeneral RO/DI in a very cold place and it froze the filters and they exploded. Replacements would have cost $40 shipped, and then i needed new filters so another $50, thats $90. For a dollar less i got a new unit.

So the actual unit is nice, my tap water is around 200ppm, and after the membrane i get 6ppm. The unit feels kinda cheap, but for $89 what do you want? It also comes with a floatswitch and full hookup materials, like the feed valve for pipes. Also it has two refillable DI filters and a clear prefilter. 100gpd also. The unit is found on ebay.

So on to the negative. Like i said the unit is cheap. It arrived with one broken connector and a bad o-ring causing the first filter to leak. Since i just contacted the seller and asked for replacments, will update if i get them.

I will take pictures of it as well when i go back out to the unit.

So after about a half hour of break-in i attached the DI, now i'm getting 3-4ppms, not what i wanted to hear...maybe it still needs to rinse the DI resin.

121, how cold was cold when you left your WaterGeneral out?? :o

I ask because at my new house I mounted my WaterGeneral RO/DI out in my garage which I'd imagine can get into the 40's in the dead of winter. But I'm thinking that's not anywhere near as cold as you're about to tell me...

Yeah, I had it between my house and hotub in a three seasons room, I had a garden hose running through our hot tub 100f to heat the water a bit, needless to say it got very cold and the whole unit froze. It must have been 0-15f for a few days.

Well today the unit is making 0 ppm water!!!

• 2 weeks later...

IMO, a filter is a filter, the only factor in its filtering capabilities are the actual membrane and filters. The replacement filters are standard 10" filters, you could buy them anywhere. The TDS meter was $25 shipped.

IMO, a filter is a filter, the only factor in its filtering capabilities are the actual membrane and filters. The replacement filters are standard 10" filters, you could buy them anywhere. The TDS meter was $25 shipped.

Where'd you find that TDS meter that cheap from?? DO tell! :owned:

They have the same one here for $29 plus shipping.

Ehh, same price as Bulkreefsupply. I have GB discount to get from BRS for $25 PLUS shipping, but if I can save and get it for $25 SHIPPED, then that would be golden. Gotta save the pennies these days remember. ;)

Archived