SaltCritters.com

Little white tube worm things all over the place . .

darwin604

Just a quick question (im sure its been answered a million times before):

My tank is about 6 months old and recently my glass has been covered in small spiral white things that look like some kind of tube worm casing. They're everywhere . . what are they . . and should I get rid of them? They're only a few millimeters wide but they're quickly taking over the glass :

d.

If your tank is glass, scrape them off the frontal viewing area with a razor blade while you can. try and catch the scrapings with a fish net. Feather dusters rock, but not when they start to coat the glass.

Yeah they're quite cool when you look at them closely but they're infesting the glass . . I'll leave the rest of them that are on my live rock though . .

d.

kickyourbrainintheface

i doubt they're feather dusters. they're prob. a calcium based tube worm similar to feather dusters but when they grow up you'll only see 2 antennae sticking up. they are harmless and the population will even out. you may see them extending a feeding mucous line, like cobwebs, this gets annoying. when i do a water change i use a small diameter hose and actually break them off the rocks with the tip of the hose and they get siphoned away.

Archived