Cultivated Reef

Aquapod not surface skimming

moneyman6891

moneyman6891

I have a 24 gallon aquapod, and just in the last week it started getting a film on the surface. I have pillow stuffing in the first chamber. Water goes in the fingers of the intake but the film is still there.

I have a 24 gallon aquapod, and just in the last week it started getting a film on the surface. I have pillow stuffing in the first chamber. Water goes in the fingers of the intake but the film is still there.

add a power head. If you have a powerhead point it towards the surface

i had the surface film till lately. i upgraded the stock pump to the mj1200 and aimed one of the tubes towards the surface to break the surface of the water and the film seems to have cleared some. it seems to be a common problem with the AP tanks since the surface skimmer overflow is the length of the whole water and its not truly water tight so some water may flow in/out from different areas along the wall.

I have this tank, and what i did is make sure all of the intake slots are covered except for the top one. Then place the filter floss on some sort of rig (many people use egg crate) halfway up the fingers on the top section, this will force the water through and over the floss and skim the top layer.

Another option if you dont have an egg crate mod is the old credit card trick, = cut a credit card to fit in the slot to cover the top skimming section halfway - this will force the tank to skim the top layer.

Finally, i highly reccommend you upgrade the stock pump to a maxi jet 1200 to increase flow, which will also help skimming.

moneyman6891

I have the slots covered except the top, and I have another powerhead. I cut a cd case and made it so it just skimms the top 1/4 inch. Took the film off in a couple minutes

I did this mod last night with a slice of plastic bottle and superglue gel.

Worked like a charm, there's actually flow in the back now. Huge difference.

Archived