Coral Vue Hydros

Hydor Rotating water deflector

nyfishguy

just ordered one and i plan on attaching it to one of the return pumps on the RSM and i was wondering if there was anyone who has an RSM that had to put one on and how they did it

thanks

burtbollinger

it comes with a few different attachment options which you can select.

you simply select one that fits...and then wait a few weeks for it to fall off. you'll then get tired of picking it off the bottom of your tank, and you'll finally decide to superglue it. this, solution, you'll find also sucks....and then you'll end up tossing the hydor in your pile of junk, as you're tired of messing with it, and also obsessing about the amount of flow this thing is cutting off.

that was my experience.....

LMAO......i figured it was only like 15 bucks....what harm could it be to try one

ordered a korilia 1 as well

Well as burtbollinger says there are different sizes of fittings that should fit. As far as my experience goes, I like it. I've had one in my BC29 ever since I set my tank up, over 2 years ago. It works like a champ. I think it provides excellent random flow in my tank and the corals love it. As far as cleaning it, I can take it apart, clean it, and have it re-assembled in less than 15 minutes. This won't end up in my "junk pile"! ;)

burtbollinger

for real, there were times where I wished I had mine back....Its worth the money....but like any little piece of new kit, it can be a bit of a pain.

Use the largest adapter piece. Take the locline out and jam it on. It takes a little force but once it is on it stays there. Every once and a while take it apart and clean it out. Mine is still working fine after 15 months. A snail stops it every now and then and I have to scrape coralline off of the friction areas every few months

Yeah, overall I like it. It creates good surface adgitation on the left side of the tank, where the koralia doesn't reach.

The only con is that it reduces flow on that pump by about 30%, but with the additional pump it is made up for.

BLoCkCliMbeR
it comes with a few different attachment options which you can select.

you simply select one that fits...and then wait a few weeks for it to fall off. you'll then get tired of picking it off the bottom of your tank, and you'll finally decide to superglue it. this, solution, you'll find also sucks....and then you'll end up tossing the hydor in your pile of junk, as you're tired of messing with it, and also obsessing about the amount of flow this thing is cutting off.

that was my experience.....

or youll have a snail hitching a ride on it causing the gears to get stripped out, and it stops spinning.....then toss it in the junk pile....

i have steveT's media rack and skimmer cup and i could not be happier with them especially with the chamber of death in the RSM....the media rack is sooo damn easy to pull out and do what you have to do

dude if you get your water deflector today lemme know how it is....mine won't be here until monday

i just added mine a few days ago, so far i love it. Last night my turbo snail was riding on it and the thing kept spinning hah.

lol...turbos get themselves into all kinds of trouble dont they? found one in the filter of the RSM the other day...nooo idea how he got there

I'm glad I found this post. I took a very brief look at one of these in the LFS the other day when I was in. Not really sure if I understood how it works. I guess the part that is in your tank sticks in front of your water flow and somehow rotates to make waves? Am I getting that right?

Is this something you have to plug in or does it just move on its own?

Stephen-in-Va
I'm glad I found this post. I took a very brief look at one of these in the LFS the other day when I was in. Not really sure if I understood how it works. I guess the part that is in your tank sticks in front of your water flow and somehow rotates to make waves? Am I getting that right?

Is this something you have to plug in or does it just move on its own?

The water flow from the pump you put it on makes it spin.

i just added mine a few days ago, so far i love it. Last night my turbo snail was riding on it and the thing kept spinning hah.

I have a video of this, pretty funny when they climb up there

I wrapped some of plumbing thread tape around the adapter to make the fit more secure on my BC14. This should keep it from falling off.

Archived