Pod Your Reef

Need Zoo photo tips

Steve961

I have started taking some pictures of my tank and am having trouble with my Zoos. I just can't seem to capture the colors that my eye sees. They are in a 20 gal. high, and are being lit by a 65w 10K and a 65w 03 Actinic. The greens and blues seem to come through OK, but I am definitely having trouble with the oranges, reds, and pinks.

For example, in my picture below, the upper left Zoos have a bright orange center, and the middle right ones are a bright pumpkin color. The middle left ones also have a much brighter pink that just does not come through in my pictures.

And in case you are wondering about my camera, it is an older Fuji FinePix 1400. Nothing special, but it does have a surprisingly good macro capability for a camera in its class.

Is this a limitation of my camera, or is it just impossible to pick up the flourescence from an Actinic bulb on camera?

Thanks for your help.

Zoos.jpg

Mane:

You have a good eye, they were from Gooch's. I am fortunate to live only an hour away from him, so I was able to pick them up in person. Talk about a kid in a candy store!

He definitely has nice livestock, and seeing his operation in person I was very impressed. Nice clean tanks that are well cared for with an excellent variety of corals.

Archived