Innovative Marine Aquariums

Help, I think I gave my tank a sunburn.

DJTSA WI

I currently have a 37 gal with 37# of live rock and a CoralLife PC 130 watt fixture. Yesterday I bought a 65 watt retrofit PC add on. I just suspended it above the tank and turned it on for the remainder of that day. I woke this morning to find my tank cloudy and my plants dead that were directly under the new light. Are you supposed to put some kind of UV blocking shield under the light? Or is the light just too bright for this plant now. I don't know what this plant is. I could never find any info on it. All my inhabitants seem to be doing fine so far. Emergency water change?

wow. just wow.

yeah do some W/C bonehead.

your Caulerpa went sexual and melted. Could be coincidence, then again PAR could be the cause, as well as over intensity light shock. a 5.2 WPG from 3.5 WPG isn't that big of a jump....... Still try and gradualy increase the intensity of lighting by slowly decreasing the focal distance above your tank in the course of a week with the added lighiting at all times. If your other original bulb was older, it hay not have neen as intense as the new 65 watter even though it is 130 W. Test your water to be on the safe side, and look around for another cause of the cloudyness.

best of luck moron :rolleyes:

PS: ^ sarcasm^

when putting new lighting over your tank its always a good idea to acclimate the tank inhabitants to the new lighting regime slowly. Blasting them with alot of light suddenly can be very detrimental to your tanks light loving inhabitants. Do a search on this site or reef central to find out some good techniques that folks have used for doing this. HTH. :)

Ok so do we take out the dead plant parts out?Just in case thats what is causing the water polution?I am thinking so but want to be sure, oh and do we need a UV protecter?

I looked up Caulerpa and that is not the plant I have. Its looks similar but with a flat broad leaf. The pics of Caulerpa look fern like. My plant has same structure but doesn’t look fern like. I also tested the water and everything looks great so far. Mixing up new water and will need to let set for a while. Usually I let my water mix for two days. Not today. I have top glass over my tank currently. I could take a pic of it, but having troulbes with the file size. My camera takes pic at about 1.5.

ummmmm dude, there is like 27 distinct variations of Caulerpa, and around 200 + different species of alga in the ocean that could fit your cause and effect plight.

form reading this thread posted by you alone, I have but this to say......

SLOW DOWN AND DO MORE READING BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE DETRIMENTAL TO THE TANK. This is a technical hobby, and it seems yu are a little green and not quite hip to the eccentials and basic knowledge needed to suceed.

E mail me the pic, and I'll host it.

Espi360@nycap.rr.com

GOBACK%202%20BEGINEWRRSforum.jpg

Found it. Razor Caulerpa Algae (Caulerpa serrulata)

I want to thank you all for your help. You were completey right. I'm a green horn. So the added light problably had nothing to do with it.

Another form of Caulerpa are the Razor types like the C. serrulata (Razor Ribbon). They are recognizable because of the razor-like appearance of their blades. Other forms are C. prolifera that look like a smooth-edged sea grass, C. serrulata that resemble rough-edged Sargassum Weed, C. cupressoides that have the appearance of looking like young spears of asparagus, and C. lanuginosa that look similar, but have fine hairs along the rhizome giving it additional strength for growing in sand. The C. paspaloides species grow as a single upright stalk with multiple and various shaped blades extending from the stalk like the compressa and laxa varieties.

Caulerpa spread almost entirely by asexual growth from spores and by fragmentation. A spore producing Caulerpa can often times release such large numbers of spores that it turns the aquarium water a milkly-green color. If this occurs the spores will settle out, be removed by filtration, be eaten or die off in a short period of time. The water becomes clear again, but the spore producing alga can leave behind a white soft tissued husk that should be removed.

Archived