Top Shelf Aquatics

feeding the emerald crab

sahara910

So, aside from taking care of bubble algae, is there any reason why I should have an emerald crab? Hermits seem like the friendlier choice for a CUC member.

purplefirefish

my 30 gallon has probably 5 or 6 emerald crabs in it... and theyve been in there from the start with no mishaps.

they eat whatever hits the sand bed...

I usually take the little piece of algae that is stuck inbetween the clip after my tang has eaten the algae sheet. Its a small piece and when I hand it to the crab he grabs it quickly and eats it up. He loves it.

So, aside from taking care of bubble algae, is there any reason why I should have an emerald crab? Hermits seem like the friendlier choice for a CUC member.

While I do have the fear of my emerald crab eating my goby, I've seen my hermits kill or try to kill so many of my snails no matter how many extra shells I leave around. I think i'm actually going to get rid of all my hermits, but keep my emerald crab even though he's huge now and can easily tear apart the tank if he wanted to. For the most part he's left everything alone so i'm going to just leave him in there. I have started feeding him to help him stay full. He now begs for food, running back and forth on the front glass when I feed the fish now.

I also have a smaller emerald crab in another tank that I've seen once in the last 4 months. Thought he was a goner but saw him 2 weeks ago so he's just shy I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm going to have to chime in and agree with Bryanhall...

I have an emerald in my 28G nano...

Recently i've lost some blue zoa's and over the weekned.. an huge red shroom just flat out disapeared from the rock that it was attached to..

I cant come up with any other explanation than the emerald.. i have a clown and three chromis fish.

a few snails and a few small blue legged hermit crabs..

My money is on the emerald ate them.....mine may have to go back to the fish store soon.

I feed my 3 cubes of round steak once a week.

• 11 years later...

I just bought an emerald crab yesterday put him in my 75g and he hid immediately finally seen him out today and he had one of my blue legs in his pincers eating it, I have pellets in there also

Archived