Top Shelf Aquatics

55watt PCs over a 10gallon

Korova

I too had 2 55watt PC kits laying around in my closet from AHSupply. I thought this was going to halt my lighting solution because the bulbs are to long. Well I found something that worked "for my tank". When I built the canopy for my tank it was designed for 36watt bulbs which I am going to order at a later time. But for now I have a (1 10k 55watt) and (1 Atinic 55 watt) in an "X" mounted pattern with the sockets facing the back of the tank. I was worried about heat so one is elevated about a 1/2" above the other. I was also concerned with the way the tank might be shaded in areas, but this dosen't seem to be the case. These bulbs have a huge amount of light for this tiny tank. So, If you're ever in the the same spot I was, this might help. Again, this is a temporary fix, and will depend on what bulbs one has, the 55watters seem to vary in length from company to company.  

No pics yet everybody, but the inner dimensions are 20 1/2" X 10 3/4". Its made of 1/2" poplar hardwood and is about 6" tall. I built a standard "box" and added two "wood rails" on the inside so the canopy covers the upper lip molding of the aquarium. The back piece is 3" X 1/2" scrap wood, which works well for mounting the ballast, and also providing room for air circulation and plumbing parts...

Archived