Innovative Marine Aquariums

how/what do i feed my snails?

beefjerky402

i have some astrea snails, nassarius, and a fighting conch. they did too good of a job and cleaned all my algea, now what do i feed them and how do i go about feeding them?

whats your tank specs? I would imagine they would be fine as your tank is always producing algae. Run your lights longer and you'll definately have more algae ;)

I appologize for not having a more "scientific" bit of advice for you, but since no one else has replied...enh why not.

Just let him them be. There will always be algae for them to eat. Up until about a month ago (when I moved my tank and started a mini-cycle) I never had a real problem with algae, cleaned the front glass like once ever 3 weeks. I never once worried about my snails and hermits. They are still doing fine, however, the last month has been like Thanksgiving for them. X)

Nassarius snails eat dead stuff. Sometimes I'll sink some food pellets to the bottom for them to munch on. But they never seem to starve when I don't feed them.

Astreas can probably be fed dried seaweed like nori. Thats what I give my turbo and trochus to snack on - I'm afraid my turbo will starve in my 15. Have you ever seen an astrea eat though? Didn't think so. I thought all astreas do is sit around and wait to die.

Conchs, in my experience, don't eat film algae. But I have seen one eat up red hair algae until it was gone and then it died.

no my astreas eat all the time. when i had my algea boom, it was like an all you can eat buffet for them. i would just sit there and watch them eat. even now that i dont have any more algea on my glass, they still are trying to eat off the glass.

Archived