inTank Media Baskets

Have questions and need ID please.

Quash

Hey everyone, its me again, a coupla days ago, I was madd pist because my pH was at 7.7 and It wasnt going up, even when i got some kent marine supa buffa. So now Ive calmed down. I dunno what to do with the supa buffa. But Yesterday the pH went up to a 7.8/7.9 and my alk went up to 8dkh. So now its just a waitin game. Now to the questions...

I got plenty coralline growing or so I think. Some are really dark patches of purple, and then I have some light purple on almost all the rock. How do I know the difference between the coralline and the cyano? I know cyano is slimey, and I dont think I see anything slimey. Next I got two types of animals aside from the one pod I see. Coming out of the rock in quick lil bursts is this white thing, it looks almost like fingers spread out, and then it goes back into its little whole. What is that? And then Ive got maybe 6 or 7 of little flower looking things that come out of the rock, kinda brownish, kinda clear looking. What are these? Ill try to post up some pics.

Other than that, diatoms, beginnin to dust up the place, and I got some hair algae beginning to come into play. Ive got about 15 hour photoperiods, I'll cut it down some when the hair is about to outbreak. Thanks again people. Preciate it

Don't worry about your ph while your tank is cycling. The flexuations are normal and will balance itself out once the cycle has fully completed. You will also notice once cycled the diatoms will go away on there own too. But it helps to add a nice little cleanup crew for the diatoms, cerith snails are great for this!! As for hermits, well, they also eat the pretty coraline we all like.

As for cyano here is a quick easy hick test, if you can easily scratch or wipe it off the rock its cyano, plus it has a soft almost fluffy slimmy algae look to it and you will be able to see a noticeable growth difference in cyano on a daily basis.

As for whats growing out of your rock we would need to see pics. There could be alot of things pertaining to the discriptions you gave, it could range from apatasia to feater dusters to corals.

I agree with NanoBound on the cyano description. Just look really close and if you see little hair fine strands coming off it, it's cyano. Chemi-Clean works wonders.

As for the little critters, could be tube worms, a hydroid of some kind, or something similar. Might be an amphipod popping in and out real quick as they tend to do in the light.

I found out they were acorn barnacles and that they are not to worry about, crabs will prolly get em, thanks for the cyano help, i think ive got some, any ideas on something other than chemi cleen to clean it up?

Archived