SaltCritters.com

Early stages of my new 20L

Aggie05

I had this 20L sitting around for a few months so I decided to set it up as kind of a fish only tank. I am using my 2x32 PC hood that came off of my old 10 gallon for lighting which gives this long of a tank a nice variance of light. Also, along with the LS and LR I have a penguin 170 HOB with carbon and no biowheel on it along with an extra ph in the corner of the tank for circulation. So far the inhabitants are my two firefish from the 10, a peppermint shrimp, and I couldn't pass up getting a black and white perc the other day so he is in there too. Since this isn't going to be full reef but I have good lighting over it I have decided to grow some grape caluerpa to help the water quality and add color. I also want to get a hairy mushroom rock in hopes the they will spread over the entire tank and give me something interesting to look at. Further stocking will probably include a feather duster or two, 2 or 3 more shrimp, and depending on how the bioload is another fish, probably a lawnmower blenny. Any suggestions are welcome. I may end up getting a skimmer down the road but I am not going to spend the money until the tank produces the bioload to justify it. Here is a pic.

Looks like you're off to a great start. Keep an eye on that caluerpa so it doesn't get away from you.

I love the surface area of the 20 longs. Makes the tanks look so much bigger than they actually are.

Yeah, the grape will be closely monitered and trimmed regularly, but with no corals I think it will be good for color. Thanks for the compliments, some day I hope to have a tank as nice as yours.

if you end up lighting this tank up with MH lights by chance,i'd say pull the caulerpa now its bad stuff!under your current lighting it can be maintained but if you upgrade watch out!!

p.s. i love the look of this tank as is.....very calm,relaxing.Add a few low lighters IMO!

I may end up with some zoos. Anything I add though I want to spread so that it will take up enough space in the tank that I won't have to be adding tons of pieces to get a nice look. Thats why I chose the shrooms. I also thought about GSP but have read that water quality is pretty important so I don't think I will add any.

Zoos or mushrooms would be good since they grow fast. I have sawblade caluerpa in my 10gal tank under 42 watts of PC and have no trouble keeping it under control, its does help water quality and my zoos are growing nicely. I like the lighting variance, especially in that 20 long!

Do you have a closer pic of the perc? It looks like the middle white stripe goes up onto his dorsel fin, in which case he is not a perc but a black saddleback. I have a mated pair of black saddlebacks that were sold to me as percs.

Archived