Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Opinions

vangvace

So I was reading my Hagen Alk and Ca test kit manuals and found that it gives me some funny math to figure out my Mg level.

It goes as follows:

Calcium (Ca2+) mg/L X 2.5 = Calcium Hardness mg/L

General Hardness - Calcium Hardness = Magnesium Hardness

Magnesium Hardness / 4.1 = Magnesium mg/L (Mg2+)

So my numbers are:

400 X 2.5 = 1000

5400 - 1000 = 4400

4400 / 4.1 = ~1073

So with my IO salt and the Mg results that match I hate linking to RC would it be plausible that my Mg level is no greater than 1073?

Oh and the GH test sucks ass (260ish drops) to do so this is by no means going to be a true Mg test substitute.

BLoCkCliMbeR

ok....if i see this like you typed it...

calcium milgrams per liters (times) 2.5 = Ca hardness milgram per liter

general hardness(left this numner out) - Ca hardness = Mag hardness

then

Mag hardness (divided by) 4.1 = Mag in milgrams per liter (Mg2+)

?? sounds like im missin part of the math....or your doing it right...

general hardness was 5400.

I split it up so it's the formula then the actual numbers plug in.

but yes that's how it's supposed to go and I'm glad it sort of made sense to someone else.

The Propagator

And that's hwy I don't use Hagen products.....

Im not a nuclear engineer and you shouldn't have to be to be able to figure out how to read a test kit LOL!

:P

prop, the test kits are easy to read. Titration for KH and Ca.

I'm just curious of the plausibility of being able to ballpark Mg the way they claim.

I still stand by my word ! :P

meh, I'm getting a Salifert Mg kit soon.

What do you know about sera kits? I'm thinking about writing up a test kit sticky

The Propagator

Well, that's a tough one. Never having used one I would say they would have to be a lot like Redsea as far as quality going by the price alone. Usually the cheaper the kit costs the worse the readings. :huh:

If I had to go through all of that.....I wouldnt test. I would just take it and get it tested. Or buy a differnet test. +1 for doc wellfish.

If your wallets up to it and you have the patience just buy one and see ?

well tax return time is coming up, but if I were to do it right I would need to get 1 of all of the kits and my tax return won't be that nice. Though I do have access to an aquarium lab now...

If I had to go through all of that.....I wouldnt test. I would just take it and get it tested. Or buy a differnet test. +1 for doc wellfish.

tell me about it. I never new what a pain in the ass a general hardness test was on a saltwater tank. Alk and Ca are super easy though

Archived