Nitrite

Nitrate

Ammonia

I want to start testing:

Calcium

Alkalinity

Iodine

I have a few of questions....

1. Should I be testing for anything else?

2. Do API do test kits on the three things I want to test (I'm thinking I may need to add these things so want to test before I do), and if not, what other brand would be good to try?

3. UK stockists for them??

Thanks

marinetanker
Hi,

I currently test the following using an API Test Kit:

PH

Nitrite

Nitrate

Ammonia

I want to start testing:

Calcium

Alkalinity

Iodine

2. Do API do test kits on the three things I want to test (I'm thinking I may need to add these things so want to test before I do), and if not, what other brand would be good to try?

Thanks

hi i go by salfert and hagen, they are the best imo.

1st also buy a stroium test kit

as for adding the calcium and stronium etc, i use seachem reef complete,(heres the link http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pa...fComplete.html) it has an easy to follow dosing instructions for novice, experienced and expet. i follow novice at mo, and you only need to test these every week till you can add as much as consumption by ur corals etc to keep levels steady.

Hi,

I currently test the following using an API Test Kit:

PH

Nitrite

Nitrate

Ammonia

I want to start testing:

Calcium

Alkalinity

Iodine

Thanks

I wouldn't worry about Iodine, but I would get a Magnesium test kit. There are 3 different major forms of Iodine in a reef aquarium and most test kits only test for 1 of them. It's just too easy to overdose and nuke a tank.

With a standard water change regiment, Nitrates, Alk, Ca, Mg, and pH are the only test kits that need for most nano-reefers.

Avoid Red Sea test kits though and you'll be good.

Hagen, API, Salifert, Elos are all suitable brands.

The Propagator

Considering cost effectiveness and accuracy versus the more expensive calcium and alkalinity test kits I prefer API for both. They are very cost effective and accurate IMO.

For your Magnesium I would use either Seachem , Salifert, or Elos.

The list above also reflects cost effectiveness in order of appearance.

(To my knowledge API does not make a magnesium test kit yet. Please do not be tempted to buy a RedSea magnesium test kit. they are only about $9.00 US but they suck like nothing else can. They are usually off from 500-800PPM which is HUGE.)

All should be readily available in the UK.

Archived