Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

January 2009 - GobyInPeace

Christopher Marks

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 6
There is an attachment Hagen makes that I modified using parts from an old HOB

Can you link to the attachment? That's an awesome idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome tank! Do you just keep the chaeto in the back of the LR? Doesn't it go everywhere? I'm planning on putting my chaeto to the display area of my tank and was wondering how you did yours. Thanks.

Awesome tank! Do you just keep the chaeto in the back of the LR? Doesn't it go everywhere? I'm planning on putting my chaeto to the display area of my tank and was wondering how you did yours. Thanks.

The rock wall keeps the chaeto in place and I rarely have pieces of it floating around.

• 2 weeks later...
QueenOfTheReef

Hi,

Your tank's beautiful! I have a question for you--you said that you upgraded from a 30 gal. to a 40 gal. when you moved. I was wondering how you went about doing that? I'm getting ready to move here soon, and I just wondered if you had any good advice?

Thanks!!

how many bulbs running again and what bulbs?Im now getting my 30 breeder going and after two different halides on it i think im gonna try a 4 bulb t5 setup.

Sorry this reply is so late!

QueenOfTheReef - I basically removed all my corals from the rock and bagged them separately. I also had the 40 set-up a day beforehand. It all went pretty smoothly and i did not lose any live stock.

plainrt - You won't be disappointed if you go with T5s. I am running one of each: GE 6500K, ATI Aquablue Special, ATI Blue Plus, and a UVL superactinic for a wide range in spectrum.

QueenOfTheReef

Thanks GobyInPeace. Makes me feel a little bit better about my upcoming move. :)

Sorry this reply is so late!

QueenOfTheReef - I basically removed all my corals from the rock and bagged them separately. I also had the 40 set-up a day beforehand. It all went pretty smoothly and i did not lose any live stock.

plainrt - You won't be disappointed if you go with T5s. I am running one of each: GE 6500K, ATI Aquablue Special, ATI Blue Plus, and a UVL superactinic for a wide range in spectrum.

• 4 weeks later...
You won't be disappointed if you go with T5s. I am running one of each: GE 6500K, ATI Aquablue Special, ATI Blue Plus, and a UVL superactinic for a wide range in spectrum.

do you know what order your bulbs are in place?I here can change things.

• 2 weeks later...
GobyInPeace
do you know what order your bulbs are in place?I here can change things.

Sorry this is so late. I did not realize anyone posted.

From front to back.

ATI Blue Plus, ATI Aquablue Special, UVL Superactinic, GE 6500K.

T5lights02.jpg

GobyInPeace
not too late.Im running same bulbs now on my 30b and enjoy the look.Ill try the way you have and see if does anything.

Your dawn/dusk modes might be screwed up if you arrange them the way I did. Since I wired the ballasts myself the bulbs are staggered.

• 4 weeks later...
happyclam

Awesome tank & very inspirational. I was just curious what ballasts you used to overdrive the 39w T5's. I've heard that the Icecap 430 & 660 ballasts overdrive the bulbs, though I couldn't get definitive info.

Thank-you.

• 3 months later...

If there was a tank of the year award, this would get my vote! Everytime I take a look at the TOTM page I always have to click on your description to look at it again lol

• 1 month later...

Thanks again everyone for the kind words!

I recently decided to sell off most of my corals and stock my tank with more macro algae and fish. I have a new job that requires me to go away too often and did not want to worry about a full blown crash.

Most of my corals went to a 120 gallon I set up for a client and boy was he happy. I made some nice cash as well to soften the blow. It was time to move on. I really needed a larger tank as cutting back all the time was getting ridiculous.

I did keep the corals I started with almost 6 years ago. Those include a hammer, blasto, toadstool and some others. I kept these corals as they seem to be almost bullet proof ~ once surviving 90 degree temps.

I will post a picture as soon as I get the chance.

~Spike

Here are some recent pics after the selling off of the corals. I know it no longer has that awe factor but it is still a nice tank to come home to:

40G90904.jpg

40G90902.jpg

40G90901.jpg

40G90903.jpg

I will also post a few pics of my corals in their new home. You will be surprised how much they filled in a 120!

• 4 weeks later...

Goby, how are your pumps set up around the tank? Right now I'm contemplating a 40b build and I was looking at building a closed loop pushing about 800gph through an OM squirt on top of a 200gph flow through a refugium. Granted, the idea was SPS, but now that I see your work of art, I question those plans.

Have you ever checked your pH after lights out? No big swings?

Archived