Innovative Marine Aquariums

Do sumps need baffles?

celticsfan

I can't afford to buy a custom sump and I really don't want to DIY, so could I just use a plain old 10g tank and put my skimmer, aquaclear, heater and return pump in it without baffles?

I have a 10gal w/ cheap baffles from home depot. Just get some plexi sheets. They have it in a size that doesn't even need cut 2 fit in a 10 but I can't remember what size.

not_sponsored

Baffles help keep the water level constant in your skimmer compartment, without a constant water level your skimmer level will also fluctuate and be impossible to dial in.

Like mmelnick said, acrylic can be found cheap at home depot or a scrap pile at a local plastics shop, less than $10 and a $3 tube of silicone and you'll have a much more efficient sump.

It is best have some sort of baffles. Your skimmer needs a constant water level to be dialed in correctly, also baffles help diffuse micro bubbles, and prevent them from being returned to your display. To do a simple sump there is very little work involved, some glass or acrylic and a tube of silicone... boom its done. Not really, but nearly that simple.

I have baffles for no othe reason if somehow the return stops draining (snail,blockage, siphon) with the baffles the return pump section runs dry after a gallon or so and the fuge area if you have one remains submerged. without baffles the return pump will drain the WHOLE sump which even if you have a small one means gallons of water overflowing out your tank.

Archived