Pod Your Reef

MJ 1200 v MJ 900

Greenstar

I have two MJ 1200 running in a 9g tank and have been running up against some heat issues. I am thinking of getting two 900s to replace them but was wondering how many degrees cooler the 900s run. If they aren't going to make a significant difference I would rather not give up the flow.

I have two MJ 1200 running in a 9g tank and have been running up against some heat issues. I am thinking of getting two 900s to replace them but was wondering how many degrees cooler the 900s run. If they aren't going to make a significant difference I would rather not give up the flow.

Don't really know what it would equate to in actual degrees but a 1200 is 20W, a 900 is 8.5W. So 2 MJ900's should run cooler than one MJ1200.

Well that definitely seems like quite a significant difference to go from 40v to 17v never though of it that way. Thanks

Just to clarify, W (watts) not v. :D

Any reason you don't want to go with Koralia's? That would be a significant drop in Watts. A K1 uses 3.5 W.

Hang over, brains not functioning fully yet. I am thinking of getting a Koralia, because I like as much flow as possible but the tank has a false wall which has 2 returns. Currently the returns are two 1200 into about the 6g display, and I feel the flow is already a little weak. Perhaps I should go down to 2 900 and a koralia, they just look kinda tacky to me

Archived