Cultivated Reef

Question For the Macro Expert?

SbCaes

Hey John,

Was hoping you'd be able to give me some input on this problem i am having with my tank.

I am about to raise magnesium to 1800 to treat bryopsis. what are the effects this might have on macros in the thank during treatment? thanks let me know.

too be honest I don't know. Never tried it in a macro tank, never had byropsis in any tank but QT and experiment tanks. I have my experiment tanks working on breeding sea hares at the moment so I can't try. (A shame too i I found a field of byropsis so I can test all I want).

My guess is more complex algae will not be effected. Keep me posted?

angelacbishop

If you're worried about using the magnesium treatment here's something else that might work for you. I had a few bad patches of bryopsis in my tank and I recently ordered some red mithrax crabs (I got them from sealifeinc.net but other places might have them) and these red mithrax crabs have actually completely cleared a ball of bryopsis that was about fist sized that I've been dealing with for months. They haven't touched the other patch (yet) but this might be a safer alternative you can try before resorting to magnesium dosing.

mithrax won't eat byropsis. tried a bunch of times, didn't work. (I tried like almost every cleaner once looking for the golden bullet - some would pick at it, most wouldn't). The red mithrax would eat almost every other macro in your tank though sbcaes

tried an experiment today.... (well technically a few days ago) I put a small piece of rock in the FREEZER. for 60 hrs... and uhm... put it back into my tank to see what happens to the bryopsis...

i think i have a mutant strain or something as a few of the pieces are still alive in the tank.... O_O....

will be getting my magnesium soon its the only option i have now. possibly a nudi as well. gonna try mag first.

best of luck!

raising the magnesium level worked wonders in my 12g nanocube to get rid of all my hair algae. Though I didnt raise my levels to anywhere near 1800ppm. 1300-1500 is where I took mine.

Archived