Innovative Marine Aquariums

Setting up a 9002

celticsfan

Well I got a new Tunze 9002 and I'm a little baffled as how to set it up. Everything is disassembled and I have to idea where everything goes as these instructions are useless. I have no idea where the tubing goes or how the pump is supposed to be placed.

So if anyone has any PICTURES or a detailed explanation I'd be forever appreciative. (PS- I've never set up a skimmer before so explain it to me like I'm a 5 year old)

I just got one this week but it came pre-assembled, not exactly what parts need to be put together. That said, the pump goes in the bottom of the unit and the tubing attaches to the inside of the blue screw unit at the top. There may be some baffling that needs to go in also, not sure. Found this pic on the google, sorry if it's completely useless to you.

-info50.1.jpg

Are these things pretty quiet? I've been thinking about getting one to replace my Coralife 65.

Very quiet , especially when the water level is correct ... you'll want to keep your water level about 1/2" below the level line on the skimmer for optimal performance and noise reduction per Roger at Tunze ... It a great little skimmer but takes a week or so to break in and start foaming up nicely . At least mine did

Well I got a new Tunze 9002 and I'm a little baffled as how to set it up. Everything is disassembled and I have to idea where everything goes as these instructions are useless. I have no idea where the tubing goes or how the pump is supposed to be placed.

So if anyone has any PICTURES or a detailed explanation I'd be forever appreciative. (PS- I've never set up a skimmer before so explain it to me like I'm a 5 year old)

That picture should help , it is pretty simple once you start putting the pieces together... Just make sure your pump is situated so the tube comming up from the pump isnt alligned directly with the collection cup above. If it is you need to flip the pump 180deg so the power cord is facing oposite of the cable notch in the skimmer casing . The cord simply wraps around the pump and back out the notch in the casing. This confused me as I first thought the cord from the pump should face the opening for it, but thats not the case. The skimmer will acutually still work that way too , but not nearly as well . I hopr this makes sense , it should once you get in there ... Make sure the connections are secure and the air line isnt pinched... Once you get it running make sure the air screw is adjusted so the bubbles are just above the bottom of the collection cup and let it run...

+1 to Dakota

I haven't run a tank with a skimmer for probably 10 years but just bought one of these within the past month. Been very impressed. Quiet too. Mine is still pulling out skimmate that is too wet, but I need to do a better job adjusting it I think. Once I get it into the sump (that I'm building) with an ATO, it should be awesome, considering that is does great now in the display with fluctuating water level.

Does the 9002 fit in the back chamber of a bio-cube 29 or is that the 9005?

It just barely didnt fit in chamber #2 of my aqua euro 24gal nano , The AE has 4 chambers to start, im not familiar with the cubes.. I actually modified my back chamber to remove the top 2/3 of one pannel so my middle chamber is now about 10" across and just deep enough for the skimmer to sit on the cut pannel at the correct level. The other half of the middle chamber is live rock rubble about 8-10lbs and the pump for the Phos Reactor. Chamber #1 is a 2 stage filter sponge and floss that I replace 2 times a week to keep crud from reaching my rubble and the pump for the chiller. Chamb. #4 are the return pumps . Returns for the reactor and chiller go directly to the display so there are 4 pumps pulling water into the back total at all times keeping flow nice and steady...

Very quiet , especially when the water level is correct ... you'll want to keep your water level about 1/2" below the level line on the skimmer for optimal performance and noise reduction per Roger at Tunze ... It a great little skimmer but takes a week or so to break in and start foaming up nicely . At least mine did
It's supposed to be below the water level line? I was trying so hard to keep it about 1/2" above it, lol. Works ok that way also but it's still breaking in. Pulling out a fair bit of junk already too. I give it two snaps up!

in-living-color-season-3--200505260.jpg

Sweet. My Coralife 65 is so loud that I sometimes turn it off when we're watching movies. I also like the idea of the collection cup being inside the tank, instead of hanging off the back, where an overflow would land on the floor instead of back in the tank.

I too just ordered a 9002 for my RSM, still waiting on it to arrive. How well does this skimmer work without any other mods like a media basket or a custom cup? I have read several places where people recommend doing these mods to make things really run smoothly. My main concerns are how well does it sit in the chamber? Can I just put it in there and it be the right size? Will the access lid on the canopy close with the cup that comes with the skimmer?

I do not think the access lid will close with the skimmer installed. However StevieT has a great custom collector cup that is designed to fit the RSM and be able to close the lid. The other thing to consider is maintaining a constant water level for optimum skimming performance. I found my water level fluctuated a bit with the stock skimmer installed and my media directly below the intake grate. I could not run Chemipure without starving my pumps very quickly. I ended up installing a sump in the cabinet which did away with all problems.

Archived