inTank Media Baskets

Anyone use Rapids Mini Canister Filter C-80

Bianca

Hello

Anyone use Rapids Mini Canister Filter C-80?

Do you like it, any leaks?

Can I add my own media in it such as polyfilter pad and or carbon in mesh bag if I remove what it comes with?

I am interested in it for a 20 gallon tank as need something only for polyfilter pad or carbon thats all and dont want a canister filter under tank stand .

The Rapids Mini Canister Filter looks good but best to ask .

Thank you

Bianca

Too underpowered IMO for any real use. I would just get a small real canister filter if you want to go this route.

I am using an XP1 on a Picotope and it works great. Just gotta keep it clean.

Too underpowered IMO for any real use. I would just get a small real canister filter if you want to go this route.

I am using an XP1 on a Picotope and it works great. Just gotta keep it clean.

"Too underpowered "

Thanks this told me all I needed to know. I have no idea what XP1 is but will look it up.

Thanks

I have a Rapids Mini for my 10g custom AIO tank it's not that bad. You CAN put your own media in it and mine has never leaked. For a while a couple months ago, Dr. Foster Smith sold them for $20. For a tank of your size however, E36 gives the good advice.

XP1 is made by Rena and is an excellent and economical filter. Very easy to disassemble for cleaning (I clean mine biweekly).

One reason I like these better is because the Rapids isn't very powerful and can't be too far below your tank for proper filtration. I figured the money was better spent on a larger filter that can carry the extra head and also have a lot room for filtration options.

XP1 is made by Rena and is an excellent and economical filter. Very easy to disassemble for cleaning (I clean mine biweekly).

One reason I like these better is because the Rapids isn't very powerful and can't be too far below your tank for proper filtration. I figured the money was better spent on a larger filter that can carry the extra head and also have a lot room for filtration options.

Thanks I looked it up but its a canister filter and prefer hang on back as my stand is wrought iron with another 20 gallon on bottom shelf and dont want canister.

I will probably go with small hob filter that can hold polyfilter pad or carbon.

Thanks

I have a Rapids Mini for my 10g custom AIO tank it's not that bad. You CAN put your own media in it and mine has never leaked. For a while a couple months ago, Dr. Foster Smith sold them for $20. For a tank of your size however, E36 gives the good advice.

Thanks yes seems bit under powered for a 20 gallon long like he said.

I was actually reading reviews on them and glad didnt get it as seems half do leak. Good thing yours doesnt . I wanted some type good hang on back canister for 20 gall but imagine will now go with small hob filter aslong as it holds polyfilter pads,etc.

I dont use much only half polypad every month.

Happy New Year to you both thanks for the help.

Bianca

I believe Marineland makes some sort of HOB canister filtration. I think it is called the Magnum line. They are certainly larger than the Rapids, but I don't know if it is by much. (I've never seen one in person). Marineland is a good company so I'm sure it is of good quality. If you want to just utilize pads and chemicals you might try a Chem Reactor. Drs Foster & Smith have one for a pretty good price.

Happy New Year to you, too!

rapids is good for a 10g max, id use a marineland magnum H.O.T its a great, cheap, powerful canister

Thanks everyone.

I ordered the HOB Marineland emperor 280 . I saw it in pet store run with the media cartridge removed and carbon in pouch simply placed behind the floss cartridge but I might remove the cartridge and just use the filter to hold carbon,etc.

Yes it wont work same as canister as far as water going through the media goes but it will still work well esp for my size tank.

It should be here by Fri the latest.

The Marinleand canister hang on isnt built so you can add what you want at least from what I saw on line.

Rapids mini can is a piece of crap IME. you can try modding it but pfft I would throw it away honestly. It was ok for a 2.5 pico but that was about it.. even then it sucked.

Archived