SaltCritters.com

36"20g nano 2x96wattPC enough??

wetworx101

Hello folks, Q for you: Since I like the frameless look and it would be easire to drill the glass before I put it together (make it thicker too), my next nano will be a 20gallon, but 36"long (12"wide & 12" high). I know halide is best, but I just dont want them on this tank (two others of mine are MH....want a new look). So could I use a 2x96watt PC light? That is 192watts over a 12"deep 20gallon... Could this be considered 'high' lighting? I intend on keeping acro, and clams. So, what do you think?

Yes, this would be ideal lighting for the clams and acros in that tank. Are you thinking of using the CSL Powerquad? If so, will you get the retrofit kit or complete hood? I have the 2 X 96 PQ on my 110g and I need to upgrade soon, I didn't expect to fall in love with Crocea clams.

P.S. If you want to get the retrofit kit, I should be ready to upgrade next week. I'd give you a good price b/c I love your avatar!

If you plan on going with the 36" model. I've got a used one that I bought in January that I can sell to you for $100 shipped. The actinic bulb is looking dull though, prob needs changing and no guarantee on them breaking during shipping. Also have the legs for them but one of the silicone bands for the bulb clips broke.

Tat2dBrownDude

ummm, 36"x12"x12" is bigger than 20 gallons, my 20 long is 30"x12"x12", but the dimensions you want sound cool, especially frameless. That should be a pretty bright tank with 2 96 watt pc's.

36x12x12=5184 cubic inches...5184/231 = 22.44gallons

30x12x12=4320 cubic inches...4320/231 = 18.7gallons

according to ALL glass 20L is 30x13x12...so that is about 20.

my 36 is a little bit over, but actual interior dimensions will be:

35.5"x11.5"x12"...subtract an inch from the top for the actual water line and that is 35.5x11.5x11...4427cubic inches...19.1 gallons...minus 1" sand...minus 30-40lbs live rock...

anyways, that is about 10watts per gallon (not a fan of that figure, but significant in this case), at maximum 11" away...but spread out over 36"long...and it isnt MH, but PC lighting...so are you guys sure still that 2x96watt will be enough for a 36"long 20gallon???

Tat2dBrownDude

actually, all glass aquariums website has a 20long's dimenions at 30x12x12, plus mine is an all glass and it is 30x12x12, so I think its a 20 gallon long. I didnt use any cool formulas, other than looking on Google for AGA's site and also every one on here that has a 20long with thier dimension's listed as 30x12x12, subtract the inch for the top for the actual water line, subtract the sand bed, subtract the salt that is in the water, subtract the live rock, subtract the fish and crap, subtract room for powerheads, and miscellanious stuff like trace elements. Leaves me about 6 drops of water, well maybe not I suck at math =)

anyways, as I was saying I think your tank will be pretty bright, why not get a par meter and measure intensity?

Tat2dBrownDude

lux meter I beleive measures lumens, par meter measures par,

From Harbor Aquatics

"PAR= Photosyntheticly Active Radiation PAR measures the 400-700 nanometer range of the spectrum, which includes the blue and red ranges most plants and zooxanthellae use for photosynthesis. This is the part of the spectrum a reef aquarium uses, the only way to measure it is with a PAR meter or with spectral analysis"

They are very expensive and hard to come by

OOOOOOOK, not going to get one of those! Well, it seems the wattage per square inch would be near-identicle to a powerquad on a 10gallon. Would this grow clams and acro/stonys well?

Archived