SaltCritters.com

Reefkeeper or Aquacontroller

joel sandoman

in canada the reefkeeper 2 is selling for $257

I just ordered it, I have heard alot of good things about it and this month they are giving a free PH probe

PM me if you want the site, shipping costs are also very good

Using an aquacontroller on a larger tank and while it is nice, there is constantly something breaking. Look up the issues with their temperature probes too. Ugh. I like how much it can be customized and expanded but let's see here... on third temp probe, second ph probe, second dc4hd, dc8 is making noises, 220v expansion is in for rma. That is in one year.

In summary, when it works it is amazing, but I'm quickly losing trust in the whole system.

ACjr FTW!! I have one, but I'm not biased or anything! :P

Either one will be good, all comes down to personal preferance and features desired really. Either one is better than none at all! B)

Really do your reseach on this...make sure your ready for your future

If your looking to upgrading in the future...you know the BUG gets ya.

Check out the RKE...

I got one of the 1st ones out...had some bugs...but now DA has almost

worked out the system to perfection...still has some noise issues but its

being addressed.

ALSO...check out in their store... the New RK lite thats suppost to be geared for

Nano setups

Izzue

http://www.digitalaquatics.com

Really do your reseach on this...make sure your ready for your future

If your looking to upgrading in the future...you know the BUG gets ya.

Check out the RKE...

I got one of the 1st ones out...had some bugs...but now DA has almost

worked out the system to perfection...still has some noise issues but its

being addressed.

ALSO...check out in their store... the New RK lite thats suppost to be geared for

Nano setups

Izzue

http://www.digitalaquatics.com

Thanks for that! Looks promising!!!

I am a bit puzzled regarding the RK line, including the Elite. Does it have a programming language to create conditional actions? I just looked at the Elite description on the manufacturer's web site (thanks Izzue). In terms of price, as it includes the hardwire control modules (that look like office power outlet bars) and both pH and temp probes, it's really no more expensive than the Aquacontroller III. Furthermore, the interface and ease of use seems substantially more advanced than the AQIII.

Also, it seems that the RKE does not have internet capability. Unlike the AQIII, it will not generate a web interface that can be read remotely, and it will not send a frantic email if something is way out of whack.

Am I missing something here?

Oh, and thanks to one and all for enslaving me to an even higher level of geekdom than I ever expected.

ACjr here... no problems with mine either. It's a little tricky to program but once you figure it out it's not so bad. It has really helped with the stability of my tank temperature wise.

Heya Sam

DA is about to release the net module for the RKE....

as of now...RKE has to be manually programmed...no software yet...but

DA is also working on that...when its complete...its offered free.

Izzue

I have the RK2, had an ACjr and a ACIII. the RK2 is the easiest to program. The AC line does alot more for you in controls and custom programming. If your looking for a controller for a simple nano setup the acjr or RK2 is the best. ACIII monitors alot more, has ethernet capablities.

I have and have used both the RKE and the AC III.

The answer to your question is... It depends.

I say that because it depends on your comfort level, skill level, how much you want to spend, etc.

The RKE is a very expandable and well engineered unit with the key benefit being its expandability. Out of the box the RKE will handle everything that the AC III does except for backup power and networking. Networking will be covered with the new net module they are coming out with. Another example is the ability to monitor salinity. In the next year they will have an SL2 module that will allow you to keep track of salinity. Lastly you can add multiple SL1's in series to add more temp, pH, ORP probes and switches. Wiring in switches is easy with their included switch wires.

In my opinion The downsides of the RKE are as follows. It is a 1.x release at the moment and while they have come a long way in terms of working out the bugs there are still issues cropping up. They are good about fixing them though. It also doesn't have a programming language. Everything is set at the head unit. To add network capabilities is an addition $150. And lastly it doesn't have a power failure/backup capacity.

The AC III (and to a lesser extent Jr.) is a tried and true unit but is allot less expandable out of the box than the RKE. It has a programming language that is robust and flexible. It is well engineered as well but not as sexy as the RKE. You can add a series of temp, ORP and pH probes, as well as 4 switches to it via a PX 1000 unit (up to 7 px 1000's) but it will not monitor salinity or dissolved O2. To monitor those you have to go to the Pro unit. It comes with Ethernet and a web etc server built in. Wiring of the switch ports is a pain without the breakout box. It has an option to monitor for power failure and to adjust things accordingly.

Apples to apples price comparison of the two. With each having pH and Temp probes; 8 plugs; network (ethernet) capability) is as follows:

RKE: $640 (source digitalaquatics.com)

AC III: $460 (source reefgeek.com)

I just bought the ACJr package with the DC8 to control my Solana. No problems setting it up. The programming language is easy to use. I am already using 7 of the plugs on the DC8, so it is nice that you can expand by dropping on another DC4 or DC8. If you are going to control anything larger than a nano, I would go with the AC3 due to its expansion capabilities.

You can find the bundle well within your budget.

Heya Sam

DA is about to release the net module for the RKE....

as of now...RKE has to be manually programmed...no software yet...but

DA is also working on that...when its complete...its offered free.

Izzue

Cool. Thanks for this info, Izzue.

Yup, great post Urchinhead. All I'd add (and you may have mentioned this, I'm not sure) is that the ACIII (NOT the Jr) can be expanded by cheap hardware for multiple sets of probes and tanks. This, it seems to me, is an important diff in functionality between the III and Jr of the AC line. If you have multiple tanks, you will need multiple Jr controllers; you will not need multiple III controllers. At least this is what I was told when I called up the AC people yesterday.

Archived