Cultivated Reef

HELP -- Major Newbie Stupid Move!

rayd8s

I ordered and just received a Frogspawn from Saltyfish.com. All looks good and I'm in the beginning stages of a slow drip acclimation.

Now for the really stupid move on my part: I thought it would be already attached to a rock and would just place it in my tank that way. But it's not and I don't know how to get him in place in my tank. Please anyone with some fast answers?

I don't have any super glue on hand - but the LFS opens in about 1/2 hour so I could go get whatever I need while acclimating. But please, step by newbie steps on how to successfully get this guy in.

Thanks!

hmm, it should be 'attached' to a 'rock' since it's a stony coral. it may have bailed out completely due to the stress of shipping. a pic would help us help you as we may be giving the wrong advice for something.

if it's bailed out, you have to be ginger with it and hope it attaches to a piece of rock. prepare a clean (well-rinsed) low-level tupperware container to shelter the frog. have some small pieces of LR at the bottom (not tufa or lava unless they're well-encrusted with coralline). it'll need a readily acceptable surface to attach. i would up your ca/alk levels to aid it to re-form its base. some flow but not so much as to blow it off.

i'm not one to glue the base flesh and i think it will slime off anyway but maybe someone can direct you better on that. good luck!

Well you are right Tinyreef - it is attached to a rock - it was difficult for me to see that when it was still bagged. So... now that I know it's attached, do I need to glue this rock frag to my existing rock? Or will it be ok if I just position it as best as possible w/o glue?

I plan on putting it toward the top of my tank for the best light and flow. I think there's a spot where the Frogspawn rock can nestle into a small hole in my base rock.

Thanks for your help

If it will stay put without glueing it to a larger rock, then just place it there. If the current is too strong, or you can't get it to stay upright in the location you want it, then you may have to glue. Remember that if you super glue, you may have to chisel it off the larger rock when/if you need to change the frog's location.

ah, it's because you are hosting them on msn users... try just attaching them to the thread rather than posting an 'img' link...

everytime i open this thread a microsoft .NET sign-in wizzard pops open...

I jammed my frogspawn between two pieces of rock, setting one on top. That way it can't get knocked out and fall. I don't know if this is your first coral but you will want it in a spot where it can't sting other corals. Frogspawn can expand pretty big too, so if you glue you might be screw in the future.

Good luck!

Think I fixed the pictures -- baaahumbug

I have the coral between two rocks as well, at least for now. This is my first aggresive coral and have placed it accordingly. So far it seems to like it as some of the arms are inflated and swaying about.

Archived