Top Shelf Aquatics

Arrrrgh!

Whacked

So I was cleaning my skimmer. Took it off the tank to do a full complete cleanup as I noticed a layer of crap on the skimmer bottom. In the process of pulling the pump apart the ceramic shaft broke :(

I have another pump, same size, only the shaft is metal.

My mixing pump is a bit bigger, I 'think' it has a ceramic shaft but its in use right now.

Would superglue work to glue the shaft back together?

seems to me that might work as its a non-moving part, just something for the impeller to spin on.

It is worth a try. Or a stronger two part epoxy made for ceramic would be a better choice. It may fail again over time as stated above but I would try fixing first.

superglue didnt work. it bubbled out the sides thus was too big to fit back in the impeller. I tried shaving the glue down and the joint broke again. I havent given up yet just putting it aside for now.

what I ended up doing is taking the red spray tube from a PC canned air cleaner. cut that down and fits perfectly. I remembered that some of the early users of the taam rio skimmer did that 'cause it came with a metal shaft. My skimmer is a odyssea so a new pump is definately cheap enough, but the red tube seems to be holding up. Time will tell.

Archived