Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Live Sand Question

ElectroTT

hello. i have had my tank set up for about 1 year now and i was jus wondering. i have a maroon clown that keeps plowing my live sand to one side of the tank and it looks a little funny. i was wondering if i add another bag of live sand (about 20 more lbs) to the 20-30 lbs i have now will it like cycle over again? i dont mind the cycle but will it hurt my animals? i have a 20g LONG. i would really like to add another bag of sand. any help is appreciated.

mikey

Well, hmmm. Here's my take: if you aren't adding any more livestock, what is there to cycle? The amount of die off in transporting live sand HAS to be minimal, most creatures are barely visible at most. It can't be compared to live rock where there are plants and animals hiding/dying in holes, crevices, caves, etc. I don't know what else you have in your tank (rock, corals, etc...) so the only thing to worry about would be the sandstorm from the new LS.

I am no expert, just my rationale.

hey thxs for the reply. yea i was worried about the sandstorm also. i have about 4 rocks of mixed polyps(yellow, zoos) a maroon clown and a blue devil damsel. i was wondering if i should leave the fish in or take them out when i add the bag of sand. i will be adding it slowly wit a cup probably. i have about 25-35 lbs of live rock.

if you're talking a bag of the shelf stable stuff, i wouldn't do it. you already have live sand, just add a bag of dead and save money

Archived