Cultivated Reef

Best 250w HQI bulb?

beeker

i'm getting a new light fixture for my 29g soon and was wondering what the best 250w HQI bulb was or what one was most prefered

i know the 14k pheonix rates high up there, but was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions for another bulb to try or use

right now i have a 150w radium 20k on the tank and love the color, i used to have a 14k pheonix on it so i know what the diffrence is, but is anyone getting good color and growth out of any other bulbs

Any chance you have pics of the radium vs. the phoenix? I'm considering both those bulbs for my 150w prndant. Also check out the g-man bulbs, great growth but with out actinics the 13.5k I'm using is a little yellow.

yeah i know how well the pheonix performs and will probably go that route,

but was wondering is anyone was using a ushio 20k 250w hqi? maybe had some pictures so i could get a visual of the color it produces

or a Reeflux12k? with pics?

yeah i know how well the pheonix performs and will probably go that route,

but was wondering is anyone was using a ushio 20k 250w hqi? maybe had some pictures so i could get a visual of the color it produces

or a Reeflux12k? with pics?

I'm interested in the reeflux 12k too. I'm currently running an aqualine buschke 10k which is a little too white for me, but the phoenix is too blue.....

hmm, i liked the pictures of the 12k reeflux on a SE 175w, but haven't seen any pictures of them in the HQI style yet

but i might go with the reeflux 12k seeing as i'll be running 2 giessman atinic+'s and 2 UVL 75:25 splits as well when i get the outer orbit fixture, but 12k might be a little too bright, i really wish Radium made a 20k in a 250w hqi if they did thats what i'd be using

you have any pics of the 250w 14k pheonix standalone?

A good friend who is an exotics aquaculturalist uses the Reeflux 12,000K's and the ACTUAL color from them is MUCH bluer than my Phoenix. I know they are 12,000K versus 14,000K, but I am just telling you what the real world bears....

i don't mind the blueness, i just wanted something with good PAR and great color, i prefer color over PAR though, since i went from a 150w hqi pheonix 14k to a 150w hqi Radium 20k and i love the color/growth of the 20k radium, but they don't make any 250w hqi radiums so i'm going to have to get something different

How was the growth and actual coral color with the 12k Reeflux?

• 2 months later...

what would youguys reccomend for a 250w over a 15gal with no actinics? I have been using the stock bulb that came with the fish need it pendant (20000k) I like the blue color, but growth seems rather slow.

A good friend who is an exotics aquaculturalist uses the Reeflux 12,000K's and the ACTUAL color from them is MUCH bluer than my Phoenix. I know they are 12,000K versus 14,000K, but I am just telling you what the real world bears....

hmmm that wasnt my experience..I use to run reflux 12k DE on coralvue eballast and They where almost pure white hardly any blue to them at all..When i switched them out for Phoenix they had much more blue to them then the Reeflux. Also the reeflux bulbs do not have the best par

here is with 2x250 reeflux 12k

IMG_2812.jpg

and here was when I changed to Phoenix 14k

IMG_3223.jpg

also if your friend is running them on a underpowered ballast they will look much bluer..here is how my reeflux where on my Odyssea stock ballast that was only pushing 170w under driving the bulb

IMG_2775.jpg

I agree that the 12k reeflux looks much more white than the the 14k Phoenix. I have ran both on the same tank and noticed this to be true. Also if you look at sanjays page it shows that the 10k reeflux actually has a larger blue spike, but the amount of red output make it look more whitish in color. As mentioned above if you under power the reeflux bulb (on a dimmable ballast) they look bluer. Out of all these bulbs I prefer the 14k Phoenix.

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on what you want.

For growth, there isn't anything better than the 10K Aqualine/Aqua Medic 250W bulbs.

Very pricey, but fantastic PAR and growth.

Archived