Cultivated Reef

Anxious to begin

LMG

Hi there everyone. I just registered to the forum in anticipation of building my first saltwater nano. This tank is going into my bedroom so it sadly can't be to big. I am totally new to tanks but want to get things right the first time around, thus joining this forum. I live in Miami so gathering sand, water, fish will not be a problem. I do have a few questions which have my a little troubled.

1. Is there a website for me to begin to read on how to properly set up my tank ?

2. Will it be wiser to build my own tank or go out and find one already made ? Are there tanks specifically made for saltwater ?

3. I mainly want live coral in my tank, with maybe a few small fish. Will the upkeep be easier this way ?

4. Is it wise to use natural sea water and sand ?

5. What kind of price am I looking at for a 25g tank with everything already set up ? Remember, I will probably be getting some things free from mother nature herself.

I can not think of any other questions at the moment. I am so excited ! I got into it after going to a family members house and seeing his 30ft deep pond. It is truly beautiful, and I spend hours sitting in front of his "pond" just watching the koi eating. He told me watching fish is real relaxing, so this is the main reason for me wanting to make a tank in my room.

Hi there everyone. I just registered to the forum in anticipation of building my first saltwater nano. This tank is going into my bedroom so it sadly can't be to big. I am totally new to tanks but want to get things right the first time around, thus joining this forum. I live in Miami so gathering sand, water, fish will not be a problem. I do have a few questions which have my a little troubled.

1. Is there a website for me to begin to read on how to properly set up my tank ?

2. Will it be wiser to build my own tank or go out and find one already made ? Are there tanks specifically made for saltwater ?

3. I mainly want live coral in my tank, with maybe a few small fish. Will the upkeep be easier this way ?

4. Is it wise to use natural sea water and sand ?

5. What kind of price am I looking at for a 25g tank with everything already set up ? Remember, I will probably be getting some things free from mother nature herself.

:welcome:

1. No better place then right here! Search through the member's aquariums and see what others have done ...

2. I have never built a tank myself ... some have ... so is it wiser to build it yourself? Depends on how good of a DIY person you are ... it's EASIER just to go buy a tank :D

3. Nothing is all that easy ... depends on the types of corals you will want to keep softies, LPS, SPS ...

4. Natural Sea Water? As in from the ocean? ...... NO ... lol ... LFS sells premade water ... or go get yourself a nice RO/DI Unit a bucket of sea salt (I personally use Red Sea Coral Pro) and mix away. The LFS also sells live sand ... IMO ... what's on the beach should stay on the beach.

5. Depends on equipment you choose ... no way of putting a price tag until you figure out what you want. Filters, Skimmers, Lights etc.etc.etc.

Welcome to Nano-Reef ... I hope this helped a bit! :D

-David

:welcome:

I would suggest reading the N-R.com Articles >>LINK<<

You'll find lots of useful information to help you get started. Also, any "stickied" threads. It will take some time, but you'll come away with a better understanding and be able to ask more specific questions if you do not understand something. :)

Scott Riemer is right, read the articles he linked.

Don't use sand from the beach or water from the shore unless you want pollution in your tank.

Fish's Paradise on Hallandale Bch. Blvd. in Hallandale is a good place to get livestock. (I used to work there many yrs. ago.)

Archived