Innovative Marine Aquariums

maxi jet top off pump?

flamethis

How would you attach a 1/4 airline tube to a maxi-jet to use it as an ATO pump? I've got the float switch but I want to save a few bucks and use the maxi jet (or another similar powerhead here) for the pump.. I can't figure out an adapter to make it use the 1/4 line, I have no sump so it's pumping into the main display which is why I want it as discreet at as possible..

Any ideas?

How would you attach a 1/4 airline tube to a maxi-jet to use it as an ATO pump? I've got the float switch but I want to save a few bucks and use the maxi jet (or another similar powerhead here) for the pump.. I can't figure out an adapter to make it use the 1/4 line, I have no sump so it's pumping into the main display which is why I want it as discreet at as possible..

Any ideas?

spend $15 and get an aqualifter. uses airline tubing.

spend the dollars on the aqualifter pump. if you still want to make the powerhead work you can put a tubing that'll fit on the output of the pump then cut it 1in in length and insert the small tube then put silicon inside the bigger tube to surround the smaller tube.

spend the dollars on the aqualifter pump. if you still want to make the powerhead work you can put a tubing that'll fit on the output of the pump then cut it 1in in length and insert the small tube then put silicon inside the bigger tube to surround the smaller tube.

And run the risk of the tubes separating and having water spray out onto the floor. Silicone doesn't adhere to plastic tubing very well. (That's been my negative experience, anyway)

I am looking to do the same thing with my kalk reactor and ATO. I tried an aqualifter pump, but with the pressure from the check valve and kalk reactor it wasnt able to pump any water through. I am going to try and ziptie some tubing on the maxijet and try to ziptie a John Guest fitting on the other side.

What about using the fitting that comes with the maxi jets? You know the one that has the airline fitting already on it. It used to introduce air into the water stream. All you would have to do is fill the main end of that up and then the water would have to go out the airline tube. Oh and silicone sticks well to the silicone airline tubing

i think your going to create to much back pressure... i doubt your maxi will last to long like that... i would run your maxi jet onto a t and then have one end go back into the rodi bucket and the other go to the tank... but a ball valve on the end going to the tank so you can adjust the flow rate... this way you wont create crazy back pressure trying to fit 100+ gph through a thin little tube

chickendude10

If you've already bought the maxi-jet, use 1/2" tubing and use the connector piece that came with the pump. That's all I've done on my setup. Only do this if you have a sump though.

The aqualifter is perfect for keeping salinity rock stable. If you have to have water enter directly into the display, I'd definately use it. I use a sump which allows the water to mix a bit before it is returned to the display.

What about using the fitting that comes with the maxi jets? You know the one that has the airline fitting already on it. It used to introduce air into the water stream. All you would have to do is fill the main end of that up and then the water would have to go out the airline tube. Oh and silicone sticks well to the silicone airline tubing

That makes sense. My accident came from using the vinyl stuff.

The only reason i was looking to use the mj is because it's here and free.. An aqualifter costs about $20 CDN plus shipping.. but it looks like I'll have to do without for a while till I can get the aqualifter.

Update, I ended up getting something like this:

http://www.rosystems.com/reverse-osmosis/w.../O-0420215.html

I am not sure of the exact size maybe 1/8" MPT, but the threaded end fit almost perfectly right into the maxi-jet nozzle. I just put some super glue on the threads and stuck it into the maxi jet and it has been working perfectly.

121a- I need a check valve with the kalk reactor. If I didnt have one, it would drain all the kalk water out of the reactor into my ATO fresh water tank.

For future reference, this would have worked just the way you wanted it. The 3/8" end fits perfectly into the discharge of a maxi-jet and the 1/4" end would have taken the airline tubing. Thanks for the link to the John Guest fittings though, I like and use them frequently but your link has stuff I didn't know they made.

You can fit the output side of the maxijet pump in a 1/2" John Guest tube fitting. I've done this to run a 900 as the feed pump for my calcium reactor. There's two ways to go about reducing it down to 1/4" tube (I have not found a 1/2" - 1/4" reducing fitting).

1) 1/2" tube to MPT fitting, 1/2" threaded coupling, 1/4" tube to 1/2" MPT fitting.

2) 1/2" to 3/8 reducing tube fitting and 3/8 to 1/4" reducing tube fitting.

Option 1 can be purchased at any Home Depot.

Archived