ReefCleaners.org

Best pump for 110 gallon with overflow & 20 gl sump

NancyPichette

NancyPichette

I just bought a 110 gallon Aquarium 49.25 inches long, 19.5 inches wide and 30.25 high. It has a overflow in the middle with two drilled holes. I bought overflow kit and a 20 gallon tank to use as the sump. I wanted the 30 gallon but we couldn't fit in in the stand. I ask the guy at the fish store to give me everything I needed but when I got home I realized I don't have a pump and the overflow directions mentioned a couple of hoses I would need. I am assuming hoses that would connect to the pump and intake and outputs?

I currently have a 28 gallon JBL, a 20 gallon Finnex with built in sump/Fuge, and a 14 gallon oceanic bioucube. I really wanted a large aquarium but the plumbing stuff is really not my cup of tea.

If I get this setup and running I will most likely have a Finnex Aquarium, Lighting System, Chiller and Tunze skimmer for sale if anyones interested. All under 3 months old. Sorry I'm getting off topic. My question is what size pump do I need to pump the water from the sump to the aquarium? I like to get the right equipment the first time so the best pump for the job is what I'm interested in. And what size Korolias(?) and how many would i need for the 110 gallon?

Thanks! any ideas on this setup greatly appreciated, I have my other tanks so an in no hurry for setting this one up. I just want to get all the right equipment because this will be my last and final tank :)

ok, number one thing we need to know is....what diameter and how many drain bulkheads are already in the tank, and where are they located, on the bottom panel? this will determine the flow capacity of the drain, which will determine the pump that will work

secondly, i assume if you dont have room for a 30 gallon sump, you wont have room for a external pump, the pump would have to be a submersible type in the sump itself, which is fine, but this greatly limits pump choice and will add heat considerations, but we will get to that later....

my guess is a Mag 9.5 or Mag 12 is going to be your best bet all things above assumed....maybe even a Mag 18, but again, we have to know the drain flow rating in order to properly match a pump

NancyPichette
ok, number one thing we need to know is....what diameter and how many drain bulkheads are already in the tank, and where are they located, on the bottom panel? this will determine the flow capacity of the drain, which will determine the pump that will work

secondly, i assume if you dont have room for a 30 gallon sump, you wont have room for a external pump, the pump would have to be a submersible type in the sump itself, which is fine, but this greatly limits pump choice and will add heat considerations, but we will get to that later....

my guess is a Mag 9.5 or Mag 12 is going to be your best bet all things above assumed....maybe even a Mag 18, but again, we have to know the drain flow rating in order to properly match a pump

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not at home at the moment so not 100% sure about the diameter of the bulkhead. I do know the the intake and outflow are different. Two bulkheads are in the tank, I would assume one for intake and one for the outflow? I do have room at the end of the cabinet for a pump but would rather use that for a ATO and I don't like the noise of a external pump so I would prefer submersible type. I guess heat could be a problem especially with the lighting, which will be my next purchase(not sure about that either since the tank is quite tall ). Back to the pump, where do I find out the drain flow rating ? I don't see that listed anywhere on the kit or the aquarium. I will post the diameter as soon as I return home in a day or two. Thanks again for your help.

Nancy

Archived