Pod Your Reef

Waterproof lid

midna

When I graduate college I'm looking at a job that will require me to move around a bit and would still like to keep a tank. So I got to thinking that maybe I could just mount everything solid in the tank, leave it filled and just put a tight, mostly waterproof lid on it. I realize I would need to have a way to get fresh air into the tank, but that can be done via a closed loop or other methods.

The lid would not be permanent at all, just used when I move the tank. Any ideas?

How about just using a bucket while moving? I would be nervous about the stresses on a glass tank full of water. However, an acrylic pico is an option.

Well I would be moving multiple times per year is the problem. And I would probably keep it up for a few years. I could use a bucket, but I'm not sure that everything would recover from the stress of moving in time to be moved a second time, than a third, etc. If just the water is moving a little rougher from time to time, I could just think of it as an overnight/2day storm.

I thought about the stress on the glass problem, perhaps an acrylic cage lined with a soft fabric could be set on top/around the tank. For sealing the tank, I could fabricate an acrylic lid with a sealing gasket. Did a quick mockup of what I'm thinking for a lid. I realize this would need to be relatively precise but it could be done. AGA tanks have that little black lip and I am thinking that would help with the seal as well.

idea.png

Just found this stuff. Perhaps a simple glass/acrylic lid and than the four sides wrapped in this tape? It's around $10 I think. Anyone have any experience with this stuff? Apparently it cuts off clean so it should work.

Just found this stuff. Perhaps a simple glass/acrylic lid and than the four sides wrapped in this tape? It's around $10 I think. Anyone have any experience with this stuff? Apparently it cuts off clean so it should work.

I dont think thatll work for you. We use a tap like that(might be the same) at work. Its not sticky so it doesnt stick to anything, ie. your glass or acrylic tank. It only seals to its self. So yeah you wrap it around the rim a few times and itll stick to its self but it wont have any bond with the tank, youll be able to pull the lid right off. You can try wraping around top to bottom but then its no different then a bungie cord.

But that tape, if its the same or similar to ours at work, its great stuff. For us its pricy but were getting "military aviation" grade.

Thanks for the replies everyone :)

I was thinking more along the lines of wrapping it vertically over a lid that has been set on the black lip that aga tanks have. This way the part that crosses the top of the tank would run along the seal between the lid and tank lip. Would that work with this tape?

Thanks for the replies everyone :)

I was thinking more along the lines of wrapping it vertically over a lid that has been set on the black lip that aga tanks have. This way the part that crosses the top of the tank would run along the seal between the lid and tank lip. Would that work with this tape?

I dont think that'll work for you. If I understand right, you want to put a lid down in the lip of the rim. Unless the lid has a gasket to make a tight seal it wont hold water. Maybe a splash or to, but while your moving the tank if you lean it back against your chest to help hold it, if its full of water itll end up all over you. Not to mention the tank is going to be pretty heavy.

About that tape, like I said before, using it that way is no different then using a bungie cord. Any tape or a bungie cord is going to work the same using it that way.

I'd recommend just doing normal movies with 5 gallon buckets and some lids.

Archived