Coral Vue Hydros

wtf is this stuff on my live rock!

spemin

i've just started a new tank and bought some uncured tonga live rock. all's well the first few days. the clams open and close. some worms are squirm about. then, a couple of days later, my live rock looks as if it's covered in a blanket of webbing!

i use RO, carbon filtered, UV rayed water : p. and my pH, ammonia, temperature, specific gravity, etc. seem to check out, and i've been making water changes on a daily basis.

anyone got any idea what that web stuff is? i can siphon it out, but it just comes back!

i even tried keeping the lights off to no avail. that stuff keeps growing : /

Originally posted by spemin

[b i've been making water changes on a daily basis.  

/ [/b]

I assume you mean you've been topping off everyday, and not doing water changes daily?

i usually change about 2-3 gallons...

i use the siphon to get the water out and dislodge the webbing and use a net to catch the resulting debris...

the webbing is translucent : p

No, its not algae. It's rot. Fungus. Mold. Goo.

Uncured live rock will go through a serious die-off as a result of being exposed to air and shipment. This is very normal. The process of die-off is called curing live rock.

You just have to wait it out. To see what you have to do, go to reefcentral.com and search the forums on curing live rock. (many people do it in a covered trash can)

P.S. - Lots of worms = good

hahah i figured... it sucks too because i have some clams and some of the worms died already ; p

in fact, i've been removing the worms because nobody help me ID them so i just gave them a free ride on the porcelain altar! ; ppp

when i change the water, i don't siphon the gravel bed that much figuring that's where the bacteria are ; )

A surprising amount of bacteria lives in the porous rock itself. You could actually remove the sand entirely and have a perfectly good filter in the rock alone.

Just let it ferment and look away for a while. Unfortunately, you will get no instant gratification. It may take a month or more. Anything that is tough enough to make it through that will survive and multiply well in you new tank. And there will be lot of things that make it.

You can if it makes you feel better. :)

Try it and see how long it takes to come back. You can't hurt anything by taking it out.

It will go away after the dead stuff on the rock is decomposed.

It is possible that you will have a better survival rate of rock hitchhikers if you do not let conditions get too bad in your tank, but really, it is up to you.

Most people don't sweat it too badly. Keep in mind, after the cycle is done, that your water will be for crap and a major water change is recommended. Also, some recommend that you keep your lights off during cycle, because all of that fertilizer can promote algae, which just makes it look worse.

Archived