Cultivated Reef

! salt problem EMERGENCY !

marinetanker

ive just made a big mistake, i just done a water change and checked my salinity its on 0.1021 - 22 but i have now run out of salt and all the stores are shut till 27th, is this bad if so can i use seasalt as it the seasalt u use on food etc?

sorry sorry sorry, such an amature mistake i know

1.021 - 1.022 sg is not an emergency. I've seen LFS's run their tanks with specific gravity as low as 1.019.

im sorry to have wasted everyones time my bad lol......i never knew it wasnt bad

No you didnt waste anybodys time, but make sure when the holidays are over and you get your salt (proper slat mix ) you raise the salinty slowly up to the level your happy with. Steady salinty is more important than the range your at.

If you want to get back to a 1.026 range just let the evaporation take care of it. Make sure you keep enough water in the tank though so your equipment still functions. Salt does not evaporate only water does.

^+1...just skip a top-off....

my LFS keeps their frag tanks @ .019, because they get shipments everyday and the low salinity makes for easier acclimation and less possibility of disease.

Archived