Top Shelf Aquatics

DIY Nano Reef Calcium Reactor

wetworx101

wetworx, Eheim external ? you could ball valve it to slow it down if needed? Just a thought.

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp...dproduct=EH1046

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp...dproduct=EH1048

oops, just posted and didnt see the 2nd pages. ahhh well. P.S. Hey Wt, the closed loop scwd is running great, i started w/ a quietone pushing 296gph, but it wasnt enough so i settled w/ a mag3 and it's perfect just thought i'd share, sorry to hijack the thread ;)

Hello, everyone!

I'm very new to this hobby, but I can't help but pass on some info that might be useful to you. My friend just picked up two co2 bottles (10lb) and a two stage regulator with fine adjustment control and a timer for about $130 on clearance from the local homebrew store. Home brewers need to enrich the co2 of the room in which the brewing takes place, and they need very finite control over the amount of co2 released. It might very well be worth your time to check it out. Hope this helps, and hey, you just might end up making some good beer while you're at it!!

-q

Hmm...actually, I thought home brewers used CO2 to pressurize kegs?

But you are right...local brew shops can sell you tanks and CO2 refills...but I've found the prices to be similar to those found on online-fish sites!

Having said that $130 for TWO 10lb CO2 tanks AND a regulator is a bargain and a half! (Assuming the tanks are certified!)

V

Both 10lb. tanks are food grade certified, as is the two stage regulator and timer/valve. CO2 is used to pressurize kegs (as well as nitrogen for some beers), but atmospheric concentrations of co2 are required during brewing. He did score one heck of a deal, though. Good luck!

-q

**EDIT**

Checked with Patrick last night, and it was $180, not $130. I got to see the setup, and it's SWEET. The two stage regulator, relay, and flow control valve are all mounted with a threaded fitting and tape, so that if a component fails, it can be replaced independently. This is important! Most of the systems you see are one piece. The output is a hose, about the size of airline hose, that hooks into a perforated hose for release, configured in a ring. Very slick system, very adjustable.

So how did that nano reactor turn out? (the one in the title of this thread!)

Speaking of good CO2 deals, I went to the local brewer (of beer) and picked up a used 20lb tank for $80 filled and just newly hydro tested...which is good, since the sticker on the tank shows that it was orginally purchased in 1986...yes, this tank is almost 20 years old! I'm not sure if tank age makes a difference if it passes a hydro test. This tank is now good for another 5 years, and 20lbs of CO2 should in theory last me at least a year!

V

• 3 months later...

Its doin good. I ran a split line off the CO2 that runs to my korallin. I was able to run it with an eheim 1046 and plumb a piece of clear tube in for a looking glass / bubble counter ala geo style.

back in my freshwater planted days i used fermenting yeast to produce co2, which would typically last 2-3 weeks. i dont see why you couldn't do the same unless it has to be compressed co2.

Wetworx,

Back to the pump issue, I maxijet would work fine I think, even as an external pump. I have a DIY Kalk (nilsen) reactor on my 90 gallon tank and the mixing pump is a Maxijet that is mounted outside, and after 2 years of usage..no drips or leaks so far. So that may be the best pump to use.

Dan

heres a recipe i used to use. i mixed it in a 2L bottle with airline tubing through the cap and sealed with silicone.

6 cups of warm water

3/4 cup of sugar

1 tsp of yeast

1/2 tsp baking soda

I'll try it. I am working on a few reef related things right now, but I will post when I get the chance (right after I figure out the wave-valve motor, the nano-injection skimmer, and the new refugium....then the reactor again...)

Archived