SaltCritters.com

Macroalgae on LR

Satchmo

I have small clumps of bubble algae here and there on my liverock.  Another piece of rock is being covered by fairly quick-growing greenish borwn "leaves".  These are rougly 1 cm long, sticking out of the rock singlely, or in groups of 2-3 leaves.  

I don't know what the second described algae is, but I've read that bubble algae can become problematic.  Should I start plucking these things off?  Thanks.

The bubble algae I would remove, the other type sounds like Sargassum and is more common in a new setup and tends to die away after several months, doesn't seem to get too rampant so personally if it is Sargassum I would't worry too much - IMO.

sounds like the 2nd one u described is sargasam its a brown leafy macro alge can grow quite rapidly but after a couple of months will eventually die off. heres a site on it

sargassam pic

info

i had it growing off of some lr in the tank also and had to pune it bout once a week did this when i did a water change until it eventually started to dissapear. after it dissapeared i had grape capulera and halmedia start growing.

Thanks everyone.

Karlas- that sorta looks like what I've got. Only my "leaves" look to be a bit broader and more spade-shaped. Maybe it's just a variant. I'll let them be for now, they don't really bother me.

Mysk- any suggestions on the proper way of removing the bubble algae? When I got my LR, there was only one bubble (1cm) visible. More have cropped up in smaller clumps. The original bubble has since gone from green to brown, then more or less disintegrated. I hope it didn't spew out seed or whatever when it did this. I was planning on just tweezing these things off the rock. Is there a better way to do this with less chance of breaking them?

Its sargassm alright.

One piece of rock in my tank has quite a few small bits. In my tank they are growing very slowly as that piece of rock get minimal light. I too have the broad spade type shapes. I never bothered removing them.

As for the bubble algae, one of y LR was absolutely covered with this stuff.

I read somewhere that smaller bubbles dont have the spores, so I just use a airline tubing to nudge them loose while maintaining a siphone and out they come into a bucket.

The larger ones I maintain a siphone using a larger tubing, and with the help of someone else, I try and remove the bubble as a whole using various household items. If one happens to burst, the siphone is started right away by the other person and almost all spores and taken out.

The third option I take it to attach a pin or needle using a elastic band to airline tubing, get a siphine started, burst the bubbles using the pin attached to the airline tubing and everything comes out into a bucket.

I have removed 95% of bubble algae using these methods. None has resulted in bubble algae spreading, just be careful and use your imgination to prepare war and fight the bubble algae.

Tweezers work pretty well. They don't pop that easily if you get them when they're green and shiny. Just don't use pointy tweezers and you should be fine.

Oh, and the other 5% I didnt manage to remove as they were too small and located in crevices etc, so I just wait until they are slightly bigger and then remove them.

Thanks again.

Sahin- I like the airline tubing idea. I'm gonna try that. Like I said the only big one I had is gone... the rest will certainly fit through airline tubing. Whatever won't come loose will get the tweezer treatment. Thanks for the suggestion.

• 7 months later...

Bubble algae sucks. I haven't tried it, but I think my future strategy for bubble algae will be to grow alot of other more attractive macros and let them weed out the bubble.

Wait..Is bubble algae the same as Grape Cauplerpa?

20281.jpg ???

I have grape caulerpa and its OK. If you mess with it alot it looks like sh!t, but if you leave it alone- It will grow in small clumps.

Archived