ReefCleaners.org

additives

waveman216

I have a question about Carl Weiss additives.

First, is anyone out there using them? And if so, has anyone had any success with coral vital, black powder, or spectra vital? I was recommended them by my LFS, and told to use them VERY SPARINGLY!! I've stopped using them for a week however because my corals didn't look too healthy.

Also, what is everyone running their tank at temperature wise and salinity wise? I was reading a scientific journal that was discussing how in the wild MOST coral lives at an average temperature around 82 degrees and a salinity of 35 ppt.

Finally, DON'T TRUST YOUR LFS!!! I've been in this hobby for a little over A MONTH and my LFS hired me. BE CAREFUL!!!

One more thing, anyone tried using SeaLab no. 28? They're these little cubes that are supposed to release trace elements according to need, not time. I've been using them and they appear to be working. Can't really afford all the test kits that would be needed to test trace elements right now.

Yes, I use Marc Weiss products. I use Coral Vital 2 times a week when I add my kalkwasser. And I use Combovital and Aminovital as well. Instead of one big dose of each once a week, I use smaller amounts throughout the week. I didn't see very good results while using one large dose a week. Also, I didn't see good results when I was mixing my own synthetic seawater. Now I use filtered and sterilized natural seawater, and things are looking great.

Temp: 82 Salinity: 1.023

I have never heard of SeaLab 28.

I used black powder and the red one and I had major sponge growth. Stopped using it and the massive sponge growth stopped and the sponge died.

use coral vital daily. small doses. not sure what value it has but I won't stop that one and see other things die.

I saw a lot of sponge and tunicate growth when I started using blackpowder, so I switched to ComboVital. The only difference is my zoos and some of the corals have taken on brighter colors. I just started using aminovital 2 weeks ago.

Just to be argumentative,

I went to Hawaii last August and went snorkeling. We went looking for sea turtles, and when I went in the water there was a buttload of hard corals about 15 feet down. There is no effing way that that water was 82 degrees. I was freezing my butt off. I would estimate 75, no more than 80. There is a much greater range than the experts would have you believe. I wouldn't sweat a degree or two anywhere around 80.

Dingo, that was part of the article that I was reading. They said that the standard "75-77" range came from the beginning of the hobby when corals were collected from the area around the Hawaiian islands. They argue however that when you look at where coral diversity is concentrated it falls into a zone much to the south. Here's the link:

http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/19...s/1/default.asp

Holy wrong assumptions, batman!!

As I think back, I am positive that I learned in my formative SW years (13 years ago, ugh) that it was a great idea to keep fish at around 1.021 - 1.023 because that would stress invertebrate parasites and lead to healthier fish. I can't remember very many posts where people keep their tanks at 83-85 degrees and 1.025 salinity (at that temp). Yet the arguments in that paper make perfect sense.

Methinks that I have some adjustments to make. Currently, I am low on temp and salinity, which may explain why I have sub-par growth of mushrooms in that tank.

Archived