SaltCritters.com

Need avice on pump.

Azfishguy

Im currently building a AIO 20 gal tank. I wanted to see if anyone has any advice on what size pump to get. I was planning on running a single pump to power one (maybe two, havent decided yet) spray bars for circulation and also to run a DIY skimmer. I was planning on tieing a small line into the outlet and have a steady slow flow through the skimmer.

Another question is with my design do you think the water will get agitated enough? One off idea i have is to run a spray bar along the bottom of the tank and have a separate line aimed at the surface.

20gal.jpg

i wouldn't use a spray bar, just not effective enough. I would do two outputs, probably 3/4" or 1/2" pvc, and run an extra power head, korlia 1 would work well. Also RIO pumps are known to be very bad, i would look into a quiet one 2200 or 3000, mag 5 if you prefer never to use a heater, or ehiem if you need it to be very quiet.

If the spray bar is part of a closed loop then you are fine. That is exactly what I am doing on my 125 gallon build. But if you are wanting flow then you need a powerhead. The spray bar will not move enough water to be enough flow for corals to survive.

Archived