ReefCleaners.org

*URGENT* Mystery wrasse help

Goonter

My mystery wrasse was doing great yesterday, i have had him for about 4-5 months. Today he is hiding in the rocks, panting hard, and so i can't get a picture of him. His sides (both) have white fluffy stuff that look like he scraped his skin (but i doubt this is what happened). My 2 clownfish that are in there with him look fine. I don't know what to do, or how to solve this problem. Any idea what it might be, i will post a pic when i can finally get a shot of him.

edit: best shot i could get, i trimmed it to get a closer view.

DSCF0003-1.jpg

What are your levels/temp/salinity at? How long has your tank been up and running? Filtration system?

temp: 78-80 depending on lights on or off.

Salinity: 1.024

I am using aquaclear 70, filter floss + phosguard, also remora hob skimmer

Phosphate is 0

i have not checked ammonia levels yet, i am just about to.

Tank has been running since about april-mayish

i don't know much about fish disease but i hope your mystery pulls through.

beautiful fish -by far my favorite.

yah definately my favorite. I just recently lost a blue spot jawfish to him jumping out of my tank, and then an anthias which i thought might have died of stress because they may have faught, but the more i look into it, maybe there was something somehow introduced. The wrasse ate, not as much as usual, but ate a decent amount, i am unsure if this is a good sign, i hope so. I don't have a QT tank, so i have to figure out what i am going to do, i hope my two remaining clownfish don't get it or die. All my corals are doing fine....not sure if corals would be related to fish disease, but my corals seem to be doing decent...

Looks allot like Brook or Velvet. Either way treatment protocol is a Formalin dip followed by a move to a QT tank STAT. I say that because if it is Brook you are looking at a timeline from onset of symptoms to death of fish measured in hours.

For those of you who are about to pound in that Brook only hits Clownfish... You are wrong. All fish are susceptible and can be carriers. Wrasse, Angels & Tangs are as susceptible to it as Clowns.

Treatment:

1 liter of salt water with 5 ml of Formalin for 5 minutes followed by a 60 second dip in hyposaline RO/DI water temp and pH adjusted to match your tank every 4 days for 4-6 weeks while your tank lies fallow (no fish) to kill off the organism.

Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, alk. Also, how much variation in these parameters on a daily basis? We need these. If you've had him for some time and he is now getting this, something is fundamentally wrong.

all those fish you are losing is starting to sound like stress in your tank.

what size is it?

BTW: BSJs are cold water fish that'll wither away within a few months time if not kept around 74 degrees. some will just jump, others will just get skinny. i learned that the hard way

no way for it to fight it off itself?

*IF* its brook... Not likely. Brook is almost 100% fatal if not treated and in an active outbreak state. If its velvet I can't say since I haven't had to treat for it and thus am not up to speed on it or its mortality statistics. I am very familiar with Brook because I made a mistake almost 3 years ago where I bought a wild caught clown and didn't QT the fish first. She died within 6 hours of onset of symptoms and I barely managed to save my other clown by using fresh water dips until my LFS opened and I could get ahold of some Formalin.

*IF* its brook... Not likely. Brook is almost 100% fatal if not treated and in an active outbreak state. If its velvet I can't say since I haven't had to treat for it and thus am not up to speed on it or its mortality statistics. I am very familiar with Brook because I made a mistake almost 3 years ago where I bought a wild caught clown and didn't QT the fish first. She died within 6 hours of onset of symptoms and I barely managed to save my other clown by using fresh water dips until my LFS opened and I could get ahold of some Formalin.

Velvet's a bit worse than Brook, actually. I give a fish with velvet 12 hours unless it is extremely strong.

Brook about 24 it seems like most of the time.

Both suck and both are freaking terrible and hard to get rid of.

Velvet's a bit worse than Brook, actually. I give a fish with velvet 12 hours unless it is extremely strong.

sorry i had to go to work, alright i guess i will set up an isolation tank, the hard part is going to be to get him out of the tank. Where does one buy formalin? and how come fermaldahyde doesn't kill fish like it will us?

I got some garlic guard, i plan on getting some zoecon tomorrow and i am going to pump his vitys and garlic.

sorry i had to go to work, alright i guess i will set up an isolation tank, the hard part is going to be to get him out of the tank. Where does one buy formalin? and how come fermaldahyde doesn't kill fish like it will us?

I got some garlic guard, i plan on getting some zoecon tomorrow and i am going to pump his vitys and garlic.

API sells a 37% formalin solution.

Should be able to be aquired in any state outside of California (which I believe has outlawed Formalin solutions or something?) at your LFS.

But try to get a picture of the fish in the QT tank before you treat with formalin as that stuff is toxic toxic toxic and you don't want to use is if it's not brook or velvet.

Might be easier to get a shot of the fish in the QT tank for us to see.

Brook is usually about 6 hours actually.

API sells a 37% formalin solution.

Should be able to be aquired in any state outside of California (which I believe has outlawed Formalin solutions or something?) at your LFS.

But try to get a picture of the fish in the QT tank before you treat with formalin as that stuff is toxic toxic toxic and you don't want to use is if it's not brook or velvet.

Might be easier to get a shot of the fish in the QT tank for us to see.

Brook is legal in Ca. Formalin is a 37% Formaldehyde solution. Dips are better than running it constantly in the QT tank.

well he died.....so now i only have my 2 clownfish left. i need to probably QT those 2 for 1-2 months to leave the display tank fish free for that long to kill off the disease without a fish host right?

Can someone explain to me how to do a QT without having a cycled tank? I read you poor some of the water from display into the QT, but that sounds stupid in this situation. What all are the materials i need? Would a UV steralizer for either the display or QT tank help kill off marine velvet or brook bugs?

Sure.

Get a HOB filter with active carbon but no bioballs or any other crap like that that is rated for a tank twice the size of the tank you end up with. Get a few pieces of 1-2 inch long 1 1/2" PVC pipe. Get a tank. Make up some fresh salt water and adjust it to temp and pH to match your current tank. Light is optional but should be low level so as not to be too bright. Get a small holding bucket (think tupperware or something similar but that has a cover so the fish don't jump).

Pour the water into the tank. Drop the PVC in. Put the HOB filter on and turn it on. Don't add *ANYTHING* else. No CUC no rock no nothing.

Dip your fish in Formalin using a 1 liter of salt water to 5 milliliters ratio Formalin solution in the small holding bucket for 5 minutes. Keep an eye on the fish and look for signs of stress (heavy breathing, listlessness, etc) if you see stress remove fish. After dip place fish into QT tank.

If any of the fish show symptoms dip all the fish again and continue to dip every 3-4 days over a one month to six week period.

Feed according to your usual schedule and do a 10-20% water change every 2-3 days making sure to vacuum up any detritus found on the tank floor. Test regularly for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and step up water change frequency as needed to keep nitrates et al down.

Return fish to main tank after 6 weeks of running with no fish.

Oh and don't bother with UV. Just run the tank fallow for 6 weeks. Meaning no fish. Inverts and corals are fine.

Archived