ReefCleaners.org

Phosphates finally found

Rocket

I've had a significant algae problem with my current tank. I thought my phosphates where coming from my RO/DI unit with its old filters. I replaced them and still had GHA problems. Finally I decided to test all the foods I was adding to the tank. Almost everything zeroed out until I tested a drop of Kent Marine Phytoplankton that my friend said to try. He said he was getting great growth and color from his corals. Well well it was off the scale with a single pin drop of this stuff with phosphates.

I threw the rest of the bottle away. I cannot believe this. And my friend has no GHA problems, (yet). I'll warn him tomorrow of what I have discovered.

I'll be starting a 1800+ magnesium overdose to kill the algae. I have a concern though: - will this affect my chaeto? It is about the size of a soft ball. I need to harvest it but I wanted maximum nutrient removal.

I apologize for any and all spelling, grammar, and incomplete sentences. Tonight was yet another Christmas party and my GF barely got me home and set me up with some more of my favorite Captain! Damn I've got a lot of captain in me!

Cheers,

Rocket.

Green Hair Algae is the only problem. So MG levels won't work?! How about a lettuce Nudibranch? Before I move these rocks to my 125 I want to get rid of the GHA.

Green Hair Algae is the only problem. So MG levels won't work?! How about a lettuce Nudibranch? Before I move these rocks to my 125 I want to get rid of the GHA.

Im not doubting the other here with more knowledge than I, But I had green hair algae, not only bryopsis, and when I raised my magnesium, it killed it all. It wont hurt anything so I say raise the magnesium up to 1500-1600ppm and see if it kills it.

Im not doubting the other here with more knowledge than I, But I had green hair algae, not only bryopsis, and when I raised my magnesium, it killed it all. It wont hurt anything so I say raise the magnesium up to 1500-1600ppm and see if it kills it.

Yeah I got a gallon of Kent Magnesium something...

I've raised the MG level before and it worked. But then I added that phytoplankton again and the GHA came rushing back. But now I have chaeto. I was questioning MG vs Chaeto. Looks like I'll give it a try. I "fragged" some chaeto and gave it to some friends incase the worst happens.

I'll report back in a week to let others know the results.

I've raised the MG level before and it worked. But then I added that phytoplankton again and the GHA came rushing back. But now I have chaeto. I was questioning MG vs Chaeto. Looks like I'll give it a try. I "fragged" some chaeto and gave it to some friends incase the worst happens.

It might affect the cheato, mine doesnt seem to grow anyway LOL

BTW a GALLON????? of magnesion??? How big is your tank??

I have 8oz bottle, and ive only used half the bottle on my 12g nanocube, in the last 2 months.

It might affect the cheato, mine doesnt seem to grow anyway LOL

BTW a GALLON????? of magnesion??? How big is your tank??

I have 8oz bottle, and ive only used half the bottle on my 12g nanocube, in the last 2 months.

Just my two cents, but I think you might have been "overdosing" the phytoplankton a bit. You can't go by the instructions on those things. You have to start out very slow and very light with the feedings.

Just my two cents, but I think you might have been "overdosing" the phytoplankton a bit. You can't go by the instructions on those things. You have to start out very slow and very light with the feedings.

1/8th teaspoon once a week, the minimum measurement I could dose.

1 gallon of Tech M was when I bought it a month ago, around $20 ish. If you read up on dosing MG you will find that you need A LOT of magnesium to significantly raise MG levels. I am going 500-600 ppm in 50gal net volume.

Using a Reef Chemistry calculator I'll need 45.7 FL of Tech M to achieve my goal. This has to be done slowly though with a drip method.

The Propagator

Same here.

BTW... not for nothing but but if your finding phosphates present in a bottle of phytoplankton.. umm yeah.. you would because its a bottle of dead critters ;) if it was synthetic or still alive possibly not. But as is we buy dead and decaying phyto cultures in a bottle. That's why dt's smells like rotten eggs. That's hwy none of the producers of phyto plankton can make an honest claim it contains no phosphates. Because it is one of several bi-products of decaying matter.

Basically you threw away your bottle for nothing IMHO.

Slow down your feeding regimen, and change your water more often.

Maybe use a phosphate sponge.

1/8th teaspoon per week is likely not whats raising your phosphates like that homey.

What size tank are we talking about, and what size skimmer are you using ( model brand etc etc etc) ?

I think its more likely your problem is from lack of a clean up crew letting the algae get out of hand, or lack of filtration then it is from over run phosphates. If you start with a small amount of GHA on a new addition and nothing eats it.. yup it will "esplode" and only get worse with water changes until you eliminate what you have seeded because it thrives on the good as well as the bad.

my LFS carries pygmy sea hares and they will knock out your gha. It's still a band-aid for your problem but at least it clears up the gha you already have. They'll eat algae sheets too once the gha is gone so you don't need a new home for them.

Archived