ReefCleaners.org

my 10g...4 months old

dubious49

hi all. well, i've finally gotten around to posting some pics of my 10g. i set it up in may and after having no luck with the first couple of fish, i turned my attention to corals and things seem to be working out well. let me know what you think. thanks!!

full tank shot...

thanks. acutally that coral is very rigid and tough to the touch. the LFS didn't have it labeled at all. i bought it as a frag for about $10. it hasn't grown much and the polyps dissapear completely for about 2 days every 7 to 10 days. i guess it could very well be an SPS. can anyone id this thing? if it really is an SPS, i have 96w of PC lighting over my 10. will that be enough? it hasn't attached yet so i'm wondering if i should move it higher and closer to the light source (see 1st pic for its current position).

thanks!

1 false perc (wild caught) and 2 royal grammas (one at a time of course. i never had more than one fish in there). all three from the same LFS. all three from ICH. that was about 2 months ago. i have since ceased buying fish from them even though they are very reputable. they explained that the summer months are quite stressful for fish due to the swinging temperatures during shipping. they have another false perc that has been doing fine for about 4 weeks. i may give him a try in another couple of weeks if he's still there.

well im not really an sps expert but i think its either a monti digi,or branching porites like u mentioned.Your 96 watter will definetly be enough for either of those,just place kinda on the upper half of your tank.

edit:and your zoo's are palythoa,button polyps

deacon...thanks. i always feel better when i know exactly what i'm dealing with.

aquariumclown...sorry my signature was getting too long so i edited out the equipment list. the tank is using a 20" coralife aqua light with 1 96w power compact 50/50 quad bulb. the light is really great. i got the optional legs to raise the light up just a bit (see pic one) and even though the light has 2 internal fans, i am also using a desk fan which is hooked to the same timer as the lights (you can see the fan in the 1st pic too).

Hey dubious,

I'm considering buying that lighted hood. How loud are the fans that come in them? I've got a 10gal I keep on my work desk and dont want a lot of noise. I know it's hard to tell me how loud it is but be as descriptive as you can.

Thanks!

kickyourbrainintheface

hey clown, i have the same light but mine is the 36 incher, with actinic included. i also have the plastic legs and had to buy another packet of em because i broke 2, somewhat due to stress from moving the lights a lot to get in and out of the tank, i do still love these lights though, the fans on mine are really pretty silent, i'm sure the sound would be drowned out by any other piece of equip. like a filter or even a computer

i concur. the fans on my 20" light are virtually silent. this light is fantastic and for the price (under $100 online) it great for us DIY-challenged reefers! just set it up, plug it in and go!!

in other news, it does appear that my aforementioned "finger leather" is actually a branching porites. here's another photo:

http://www.globaldialog.com/~jrice/coral_p...page/porite.htm

i just moved it closer to the top of the tank. hopefully it will continue to fare well in my tank.

...man! i've been keeping SPS and didn't even realize it!!

Archived